Drilling Power Hacksaw blades ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

Drilling Power Hacksaw blades ?

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I was given a couple of boxes of power hacksaw blades,17" 10T 1 1/4 x .062 Simonds High Speed Moly .I would think if they were bi-metal they would say. My power hacksaw takes 14" blades. I can cut them with a Zip-cut but drilling holes might be more of a problem. Any suggestions. THX
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
John Hasler

Re: Drilling Power Hacksaw blades ?

Post by John Hasler »

I make blades for my power hacksaw out of bandsaw blade. I cut the holes freehand with a carbide bit in a Dremel.

Power hacksaw blades don't need the flexibility of bimetal.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

You can do it with a carbide drill, or carbide ball endmill.

For cheap and dirty, but effective, get a wall paper hangers plastic tray. This a a cheap plastic box about 4 x 4x 26 "
Fill it half full with water and get a masonary bit in your drill press and have at it with the fastest speed you can get.
As a help, take a piece of wood and have some guides milled and screwed on it so when you set the blade4 on it, you will automatically have the correct center distance and most important (!) the width hole must be dead nuts . The water will keep the silver soldered cheap masonary drill bit together .
For length of the blade, try this
clamp the blade in a stout vise with just the "waste" part of the blade exposed. take a piece of steel bar , say 1/2 x 2x 6-8" long and place it against the blade at the vise jaws and wack it with a hammer to shear it off. Wear EYE protecting , but hard blades will snap off. to be most effective, the good part of the blade should be completely (both side) sandwiched with steel bar/plate for support.

Rixh
Downwindtracker2

I have 17 blades to shorten. Here Starretts are $21 Canadian . I know I just bought one from KBC. At those costs, would a carbite drill bit work better than a cheap masonary ?
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

With that many to do I'd buy a good carbide bit.

Could stack them?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Downwindtracker2

I've used solid carbide drills at work to drill holes for easy outs in 1/2' allen headed cap screws . The bolts held pintles on and would get broken off. The drill bits got broken a fair bit as well. It just hand held. But I think gr 8 bolts are softer than HSS.

Here is a vid of a power hacksaw like mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7NHiBh1yBU
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

For years I just punched a hole with a torch. There's no precision required here. Plasma would be even cleaner. I was doubtful when I saw my mentor do this, but it works just fine.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I would use a 4 flute carbide ball end mill. I put holes in a 3/8" thick A2 at I think was 62 RC. Also milled 4 slots with the same ball end mill. Someone had the part heat treated before all the slots and holes were put in. I would use a light feed and a little cutting oil applied with an acid brush.

If you would rather drill it the a carbide die drill would work. Use a light feed and cutting oil as above. I have actually drilled HSS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20028120-M-A-F ... SwonBZ61KN

Richard W.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

I would do the job with a plasma cutter in a heartbeat. Make up an 1/8" aluminum pattern representing the blade end and hole. Clamp that to your blade where you want it and pull the trigger. 30 sec a blade...... quick touch up with pneumatic abrasive disc.

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0