Interesting article on diamonds

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Interesting article on diamonds

Post by Harold_V »

I have long touted the value of diamond wheels, and why they shouldn't be used on ferrous materials.
I was sent this link by a friend, and found it very interesting and informative. For those of you who have a curiosity about the use of diamond, a little light is shed on the topic. Give it a go!

https://insights.globalspec.com/article ... ter&cid=nl

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Re: Interesting article on diamonds

Post by Mr Ron »

Very interesting. I did not know that diamond couldn't cut steel alloys or iron due to the carbon content. Might work good on aluminum alloys???
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I give my wife diamonds, lots of them. They are on lapidary wheels.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am Very interesting. I did not know that diamond couldn't cut steel alloys or iron due to the carbon content. Might work good on aluminum alloys???
Diamond cuts steel very well at room temperature. Unfortunately, hot iron destroys it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am Very interesting. I did not know that diamond couldn't cut steel alloys or iron due to the carbon content. Might work good on aluminum alloys???
It isn't the carbon content that's the problem. It's the insatiable appetite for carbon that iron has that dissolves the diamond at heat. It is very capable of cutting iron/steel---it just can't do it very long because of rapid degradation. Temperature at the interface of the wheel/part is extremely high.

As for aluminum, sure, it will cut it easily, but unless a tip is used in lieu of a wheel, loading would be a huge problem. Aluminum doesn't present any particular issues when machining, thus there is no need to grind. High speed machining with diamond tools yields exceptional finishes.

Of interest, perhaps. When a wheel on a centerless grinder is being dressed, the diamond glows, much like a light bulb. That's likely true of any diamond dressing, but most wheels are narrow and are dressed in the open, unlike a centerless wheel. The diamond on a centerless is applied inside the wheel shroud, where there is no light. There's a small inspection port which allows one to see the diamond. Wheel width on the old Cincinnati #2's that I operated is 6". Plenty of time to observe the diamond in action.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

An Accufinish grinder runs slow and is used wet. The diamond wheels have no problem tuning up HSS and cast alloy tools. No matter what you do, eventually they'll wear out and have to be replaced. Hint- we found nothing cleans them up like a scrubbing with Bar Keeper's Friend.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

40+ years ago worked in a large job shop plant that made Aluminum Oxide parts. 92%, 96%, 98%, and 99.5% purity compositions. All hard (fired part) grinding was done with diamond wheels, metal bonded mostly, using water based coolant. Green machining was primarily done with carbide single point tools but CNC jobs where the tool shape was part of the completed job utilized polycrystalline diamond. One particular green roughing operation on a Blanchard grinder utilized replaceable inserts on the wheel..... massive material removal rate.

The engineering and selection of diamond wheels is a complex and fascinating business, more variables that you want and mistakes are expensive. If you can get the local Norton sales guy to talk to you I highly recommend his advice.