Oilers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Oilers

Post by ctwo »

How does this oiler work? I bought one many years ago and it's been decent. A new purchase was more flimsy with more plastic, and worse it leaks! The seller said they would refund, so OK, but I'm still looking for an oiler for decent price - it was three and a half bucks. (what is that dingleberry on top for?)
Attachments
oiler.PNG
oiler.PNG (26.04 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
whateg0

Re: Oilers

Post by whateg0 »

I believe the dingleberry is a hook for hanging the oil can from a something. The ones I have from HF aren't any better. I had one that didn't leak, but then one day the handle broke off so it's no more use than the ones that leak everywhere. I have thought of buying one of the brown ones like those Adam Booth typically has, but they are are a lot more than $3.50! As far as how they work, the pump has a ball check valve at the bottom, and I believe the piston itself has a similar arrangement.

Someday I might take one of mine apart and see if I can get it to stop leaking. It leaks near the back, where that plug is, I think, as that is where the oil gets on my hand.

Dave
ctwo

Re: Oilers

Post by ctwo »

I filled mine half way with way oil and pumped it a few times. Then I wiped it clean and set it on a box overnight - and the box had soaked up a large stain. I wiped the can clean and set it on another box and it soaked up a large stain again, so I assume it's leaking from the bottom seam of the can. There is probably some sort of glue I can use to seal that.

The other sort I bought from Enco, a plastic one with a cylinder and plunger mechanism that sits near the bottom of the can - that mechanism pops apart and it leaks around the top when used. For some reason I think the Eagle oilers pressurize the can and I thought these might work similarly.

I have two others that were my grandfather's, probably older than I am and still work just fine.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...