Craftsman Micrometers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Craftsman Micrometers

Post by earlgo »

Does anyone know which company or companies made Craftsman 0-1" .0001 micrometers?
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Downwindtracker2

Re: Craftsman Micrometers

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Somewhere on the web, there article about micrometers, I think it in there. General or Central comes to mind. I don't have it in my list, but it is worth the read.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
EricM

Post by EricM »

Peter Marks compiled an informational book about micrometers and their makers. The information was for his micrometer collection he was selling to start a scholarship program. (My apologies, Pete. My 2-sentence description of your work does not do it justice!)
His book is an incredible reference source, and it's available here: http://www.cofes.com/Portals/0/COFES_20 ... METERS.pdf
Look on page 140, in the section about "Sears Roebuck and Co."
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

EricM. thanks for the link to Mr. Marks book. It has the info I was looking for. I suspected that most of the Craftsman Mics were made by major manufacturers.
And, thanks to Peter Marks for compiling this work.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

My Craftsman mics were made by Scherr-Tumico.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

My older Craftsman depth mic sure looks an awful lot like my older Starrett depth mic. Of course, looks can lie!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have a Craftsman dial indicator; seems to work OK.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks to Mr. Marks, it looks like my 'old' Craftsman 2-3 x .001 and my 'new' Craftsman 0-1 x .0001 mics are both made by Sherr-Tumico. Wonder what the initials 'D.J.' mean that are etched in the barrel between the 'Craftsman' and the 'Made in U.S.A.' indicate. It is on both micrometers.
I also wonder if Peter Marks is related to EricM.
--earlgo
EricM

Post by EricM »

I would be happy to claim Peter Marks as a relative, but I cannot. He, however, may feel otherwise. :) I have never met him in person, but we have communicated a few times through another forum.
Jmegown52302

Post by Jmegown52302 »

From what I can tell...Sears micrometers marked D. J. were made by Scherr-Tumico.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

And Scherr-Tumico is in Minnesota
Tumico stands for Tubular Micrometer Company ...I think Mr Scherr founded/invented the company but not sure
My good friend Russ was a machinist and use to work there years ago
They are known for their lightweight Mics which use Tubing for the frames ( because a 48 inch regular mic is pretty heavy for example)
Rich
pete

Post by pete »

neanderman wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:06 pm My older Craftsman depth mic sure looks an awful lot like my older Starrett depth mic. Of course, looks can lie!
Maybe not, Sears Canada was a pale shadow of what the U.S. Sears was. But many years ago (30?) and prior to all the off shore tool availability I picked up a Sears tool catalog in Oroville Washington. Sears U.S. sold a lot of machinist type tools that were never ever in our catalogs up here. Emco Maximat 10's and Super 11's as just a couple of examples, but listed with the Craftsman brand. And I distinctly remember seeing some measuring equipment that looked exactly like items in the Starrett catalog with prices to match. As most here know, Sears never actually manufactured anything under that Craftsman brand, it was built and labeled with that brand by lot's of other company's though. So if it looks just like a Starrett product it probably is.