Overbeck cylindrical grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Patio

Overbeck cylindrical grinder

Post by Patio »

I have spent some time at Harold's place, helping him sort out the wiring on a Overbeck cylindrical grinder that he owns. Harold is on a mission to get his Induction furnace up a running, but there are a lot of other things that need to be in place so he can. One of those projects is a muller that he has been working on. To finish the muller he needs to grind the shafts for the wheels.
Today we have finally got the grinder to function properly. There are some things that still need doing ie getting coolant, to be able to actually use it, but that is all minor now the the machine operates as it should.
Here are some pictures of the machine.
20180923_180440a.jpg
20180923_180434a.jpg
20180923_180419a.jpg
Here is a link to a short video of the machine running.
https://youtu.be/f2vBQv8Lixo
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Re: Overbeck cylindrical grinder

Post by Harold_V »

I'd like to make mention that my degree of skill with electricity is relatively low. I knew that the machine was operational when it was purchased, and I'm the guy who removed it from service in the Litton plant, which was a part of the purchase agreement. Once wired (it operates on 480 volts, three phase), I started trying to discover all of the problems with the machine, which had been altered by Litton to run a specific way. It was used for a specific product, but that may or may not be the reason, as we discovered one of the switches was intermittent. I removed the switch from the machine and found four poles, each with a pair of silver contacts. It was filthy dirty (the machine has been out of service for about 25 years), but the contacts were in respectable condition, so they were massaged (burnished), cleaned well, then the switch reassembled. It was tested several time to determine if it was reliable, and it was.

That said, I quickly ran out of options, as the cable that leads from the pendant to the electrical cabinet had numbered wires, but there's no indication on the drawings or in the panel that describe where they are hooked up. Some had been moved, with a couple of them terminating on unused terminals, so the task of getting it running was beyond my capability. I may have been able to figure it out in due time, but I had spent a considerable amount of time on the machine already and was quite confused and discouraged.

It was like a magic show watching Patio follow the prints and tracing circuits. Part of the trouble in getting it operating properly was due to a lack of understanding of how the machine is intended to be operated. I have considerable experience on grinding machines, but I've never operated one that is fully automatic, and this one has that capability. Between the two of us, after much arguing and misunderstanding, we slowly got on the same page, and things started coming together. Finally, Patio found the last wire that had been moved (not by us), which was promptly hooked according to the drawings and we had a running machine.

Sure is nice to have a friend who is willing to dedicate his time to help another. Patio and I have done a lot for one another, but this time I fear I'm deeply indebted to him.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Good work! Sounds like I should have come out to help!

Jim B
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

We'd have enjoyed your presence immensely, Jim. Liz, too!

Give her a hug for us.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

WOW!! looks like a very nice grinder!! would love to get one like that!! out of curiosity, in the background, what are you using for floor mats around your manual mill? looks like they allow the small chips to fall through and then be swept up later?
Grant
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Grant,
I attended a machine tool show at the Salt Palace, where I saw the material in question. When the show closed, the rep told me I could buy what was on hand for a respectable price, which I did. As you described, the chips accumulate on the floor, while the operator stands on the pallet, for lack of better description. It's real nice if you're making a ton of chips. The material came in 20' lengths, and was in two widths (8" and 4", I think), along with perforated and non-perforated tread, for a non-slip surface. The pieces interlock, so they remain in place. I pin them to the machine with a couple of ¼" pins, so they don't wander.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the product. My experience was many, many years ago. More than 40, for sure.

The only negative with the Overbeck is it's a very small machine (in capacity), in spite of the fact that it weighs two tons. It's limited to less than a foot in length. I really wanted to obtain the #1 Brown & Sharpe Litton used to own, but it was sold before I was aware they were selling their grinders, having updated to more modern equipment. I had years of experience on the B&S, as we had a pair of them at Sperry. Very nice machines, dead easy to operate.

H
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Very impressive! Nice, clean, wiring panel there, Pat!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"