Wheel Press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Wheel Press

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The RR group has been looking for a wheel press and we recently had the opportunity to acquire an old Niles-Bement-Pond press that has been sitting idle for many many years. Fully expecting the ram to be solidly frozen in the cylinder, I had the power end, about 4-5 tons worth, unloaded at my house so I could leisurely work on removing the ram over the winter. Surprise when I pried a bit on the ram and it moved, a bit more pulling and it was out. Surprise two to find the bore copper lined. Per the 1903 NBP catalog found online, this press was designed for 200 ton capacity and used water as the power fluid, explaining the copper liner and brass pump and pipe fittings. The ram is a solid cylinder of cast iron.

So, the hard part of the project is done, thanks to a quality design 100+ years old. Next step is to build a hydraulic power pack for it.

Given some 9" balls and black power, it would also make an impressive mortar.
Attachments
DSC00766.JPG
DSC00767.JPG
neanderman

Re: Wheel Press

Post by neanderman »

Very impressive. Niles was 'just up the pike' from me, part of the greater Cincinnati area machine tool industry. They made some massive wheel lathes, too.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Sometimes, you just have to appreciate the efforts of a long dead and unknown mechanic who's left something nice for you.

I always remember removing the portholes of a 100 year old Dutch barge; a small thing, but the bolts were greased before assembly. They came right out. Square nuts with imperial threads [in the Netherlands, all has been metric since BC].

And I stopped for a few seconds, to spare a thought for the man who, 100 years before, had greased those threads knowing he wouldn't be the one to take it apart.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

liveaboard wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:56 am...knowing he wouldn't be the one to take it apart.
These days, that knowledge usually results in taking LESS care, not more.

Steve
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:19 pm this press was designed for 200 ton capacity and used water as the power fluid, explaining the copper liner and brass pump and pipe fittings.
I have actually used one of these in a shop. They call it a water press, but really they mixed soluble oil in the water. When it ran low due to evaporation you just mixed up another bucket and poured it in. Do you have the original pump with it? The original pump is interesting to watch.

Richard W.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Yes, we have the original pump, a two piston affair with two different sized pistons. By holding one or no inlet valves open, it becomes a three speed press. The original squirrel cage motor is a monster compared to its modern HP equivalent.

Plan B is to restore the original brass pump, plan C is to use a 5000psi pressure washer pump. The advantage of water as a working fluid is no environmental issues from leaks, and the original was intended to leak; from piston packing to a relief valve that relieved to the open.