Twist drill prices

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Twist drill prices

Post by SteveHGraham »

liveaboard wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:46 am You think that stuff sourced from from Africa and India isn't counterfeit??
I lived in India for 20 years.
As the Buddha said, life is but an illusion.
It's remarkable that you refuse to acknowledge the existence of an industry everyone knows about.

It's not counterfeit. If it were, the American resellers would be in prison. It's easy to have counterfeit goods confiscated here. You can get away with selling a few things at a flea market, but you can't open a nationwide chain that sells counterfeit goods.

Do you think Americans whose lives depend on drugs bought from Canada are using counterfeit goods? Do you have any idea how many people would be in prison if that were happening?

There is a business called Damiani in Miami. I used to shop there. They sell Belvest, Zegna, St. Andrews, and Corneliani, among other high-end brands. Real stuff, bought through Egypt. They have a big building on US 1. I still have the beautiful clothes I bought there. It's all legal and in the open. Belvest and Zegna can't do a thing about it, and they probably don't want to, since they sell more clothes and their US distributors are the ones taking the hit.

My old boss represented a store that sold counterfeit Citizen watches. The Citizen company (Japanese) had the store raided, and everything was confiscated. Perfumania, on the other hand, is a thriving chain with stores all over America, selling real foreign-bought fragrances at low prices. It's all made possible by the fact that fragrance makers charge foreigners less.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Got to add an example from the Midwest. Ace hardware 1 each 11/32 cobalt twist drill = $11.15 + 6.75% tax = $11.90
I'd say Liveaboard got the better deal, AND his were German made, not Irwin (Chinese).
If I had gone to McMaster-Carr it would have been $10.36 + 7.25% tax and not marked as to country of origin.
In the end, it worked for what I needed, and I probably won't need it again for another few weeks, months, years.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

As a Canadians, we are well aware price differences. If we pay more than 10% premium for being Canadian, we start to complain. I thought that one of the reasons for EU was to get a market the size of the States.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A point of confusion here may be the fact that it is entirely legal to buy goods overseas and import them into the USA without the manufacturer's permission (that's often what "grey market" means). This is not true in many other countries.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Basically, 'grey market' goods are those that are imported without the manufacturer's permission, so they are without warranty. Assuming they have not been 'smuggled' in, they aren't illegal to sell and have had any import duties paid on them. There used to be a lot of grey market photo gear and supplies (maybe still are...)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Downwindtracker2

I bought my Can-Am quad in the States in '08 and imported it. There were a lot of deals in '08. I needed warranty, so I had to take it back to the dealer, that cut into my savings.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
tim9lives

Post by tim9lives »

FWIW... Well known fact on heavy equipment sold oversees in the GREY Market is the fact that a lot of heavy equipment tends to get stolen by organized crime. Its a real easy thing to drive to secluded worksites and load up a backhoe and then go straight to an awaiting ship for export. Up until a few years ago some of them didn't even have serial numbers. I vaguely remember 60 Minutes doing an expose about heavy equipment thefts. It was a huge problem back then and I'm sure it still happens.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Prices I paid today, not including 23% sales tax. Yes, that's 23%!!

13mm cobalt drill bit; $9.26 "heller" made in Germany
25mm hss mt3 bit; $12.64 "heller" made in Germany
Box of 10 x 3.5mm cobalt bits $8.56 "heller" made in Germany

And from the same shop, I got a pair of gortex lined walking boots for $99 + tax; that's a really good price for here. 23% tax on shoes too.
spro

Post by spro »

Thing is, You need these items and they are of good quality. Golly you are going to pick out every inclusion before your new bits hit them.
Downwindtracker2

If you tax at the end user, the tax doesn't get rolled into the costing. When it's part of costing, it get's multiplied down the chain. The down side is the end sees it clearly.