Return Spring For a 1/2 Ton Arbor Press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Return Spring For a 1/2 Ton Arbor Press

Post by pollys1dad »

I bought a 1/2 ton arbor press to use as a fret press for guitar making. The red one has a return spring on the side, so when the handle is lowered, when released will return to its starting position.
The other photos show the one I bought, it has a shaft collar and grub screw no return spring.
I Googled return spring all I could find was motorbike kickstart return spring.
The red arbor press I don't think he has the return springs machined up but buys them ready made, perhaps they are used on other devices.
If this is the case any idea where I could get a suitable return spring and what would I have to do on mine to fit it. What you can see on the side of the shaft, those aren't threads.
Cheers.
pollys1dad

Re: Return Spring For a 1/2 Ton Arbor Press

Post by pollys1dad »

I bought a 1/2 ton arbor press to use as a fret press for guitar making. The red one has a return spring on the side, so when the handle is lowered, when released will return to its starting position.
The other photos show the one I bought, it has a shaft collar and grub screw no return spring.
I Googled return spring all I could find was motorbike kickstart return spring.
The red arbor press I don't think he has the return springs machined up but buys them ready made, perhaps they are used on other devices.
If this is the case any idea where I could get a suitable return spring and what would I have to do on mine to fit it. What you can see on the side of the shaft, those arn't threads.
Cheers.
Attachments
Stewmac 1 .jpg
Stewmac 2 .jpg
Arbor Press I Bought .jpg
Arbor Press 1 .JPG
Arbor Press 2.JPG
Arbor Press 3.JPG
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Probably the same spring motor as is used on drill presses.

A counterweight also works.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Commonly called a "clock spring" this side of the pond.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. That is the way for Mr. Red. Heck. There is more. Heavy clock spring segment attached to top of ram (one hole drilled and threaded). Spring secured by clamping fixture at frame web.