Layout dye

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Layout dye

Post by Mr Ron »

As far as I know, there are two layout dyes available; red and blue. Is one color better than the other, or is it just a matter of preference?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
tornitore45

Re: Layout dye

Post by tornitore45 »

I prefer blue, it seems to give a better contrast.
I can see the use of two colors if you have mirror image parts and want a reminder to place the feature in the right place.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I have a can of red that I have had since 1982, almost used up. It seems to last to the end, not like the blue that seems to separate out. Blue users have any comments?
spro

Post by spro »

I just use the blue in smaller tubes. It does separate over time or temperature extremes. I try to knead it, remix it. It is tempting to remove the cap but that isn't air in there. It is a chemical component of the mixture which vaporized.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I did have a can of white at one time. I find that different colors work well for different materials and lighting.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:54 pm As far as I know, there are two layout dyes available; red and blue. Is one color better than the other, or is it just a matter of preference?
Due to a vision problem called tritanomaly, I can't see pure blue—it appears to be nearly black. Hence blue layout dye actually works well for me. :D

As was noted, red can be useful for identifying mirror images and other specific layout features. To me at least, red doesn't contrast as well with scribe marks, so I seldom use it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I wonder if shaking the bottle ever so often helps the blue not separate... If it does separate, I won't buy it again, and I'll be back asking if IPA or acetone will redissolve it.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 pm I just use the blue in smaller tubes. It does separate over time or temperature extremes. I try to knead it, remix it. It is tempting to remove the cap but that isn't air in there. It is a chemical component of the mixture which vaporized.
Knead it?
Sounds more like Prussian blue than any layout dye I've seen. Prussian blue comes in a tube, but any layout dye I've ever encountered was in a container with a brush, or in a spray can. While what you described may work for layout, it's not really well suited, assuming I'm right.
Can you better describe what you have?

I've enjoyed the same experiences as have been reported (drying out). The Dykem blue I've had evaporates quite quickly. I don't use it much, but it's nice to have on hand for those strange occasions when I do a layout. It is readily restored to usefulness by adding a little acetone. When it's too concentrated it doesn't work well.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

The can of blue bought some 8 years ago went "light" (meaning lost the opacity) after a couple of years, an experience reported by others.
Older blue formulations lasted indefinitely.
I have a felt capped "roll on" type of container of blue that is still good after 6 years.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I started using blue Sharpies, and now I hate Dykem.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have been using Dykem blue and find it doesn't cover evenly and when dry, doesn't allow for a clean scribe. The blue seems to be thick in one place and too thin in others. The can is about 3 years old and I haven't shaken the can. I'm thinking it may be too thick, in which case, I will try adding some acetone.
I had a spray can of dykem red, but somehow, the can burst and spilled the red dye all over. I liked the convenience of using a spray over brush.
Has anyone else ever had a problem with spray cans leaking or exploding?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Dykem layout fluid ( the kind that dries ) comes in Blue, Red, Yellow and Black, I prefer the black since it gives me
a nice crisp contrast, more so than the blue.