Introducing my son to machining.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

atunguyd

Introducing my son to machining.

Post by atunguyd »

I recently got into brewing my own beer. One of the pieces of equipment one eventually gets is a grain mill which I bought last month. These are normally driven with a hand drill but I decided to motorise mine. I picked up a electric gate motor from a friend and designed an oldham coupler in solidworks. This last weekend I printed the drawings out and dragged my 11 year old son away from the computer and into my workshop.

I showed him how to read each diagram, select a suitable piece of aluminum and mount in the lathe. I then instructed him on each cut and showed him how to do them using the DRO to get each dimension to match the drawing.

Parts came out great and my son reported that that was way more fun than any computer game. I hope I have ignited a passion in him.

Just wanted to share here! Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

chucketn

Re: Introducing my son to machining.

Post by chucketn »

Good for you! And your son. Now, find something to make together that he needs/wants/likes. He's a bit young to appreciate a home brew beer...
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

chucketn wrote:Good for you! And your son. Now, find something to make together that he needs/wants/likes. He's a bit young to appreciate a home brew beer...
Agreed but since he made the coupler he has decided that milling is his job so the night before a brew he feeds the grain into the mill.

On Sunday he asked if he could cut some wood. I took out my Bosch oscillating multi tool and showed him how it works. He was apprehensive about it but I showed him that it cuts wood and metal but if you put it against your finger softly you skin vibrates with it and will not cut easily.

Let him loose with it and a piece of pine and he cut out something or other. Switched from a blade to the sanding attachment amd finished it off all smooth.

tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Bosch oscillating multi tool
I have seen these tools and itch to own one but I am not sure what are used for or what new capability they offer in addition to other power tools.

Logic dictates that if one does not immediately see the benefit and use of a tool, one should not own it. But the thought that I might be missing a tool bugs me.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I bought a Fein Multimaster with credit card points a few years back. I had the points and needed to do something with them. I also have several Ridgid Jobmaxes, which are extremely handy when you don't want to carry a lot of tools. I bought the small lithium version. Then I got a corded job for the shop. After that, I splurged on the bigger lithium version for the farm.

What I found with the Multimaster was this: you will very rarely use it, but when you need it, you will be very glad you have it. I suppose that's true of many tools. It's especially nice for little cutting jobs in certain circumstances, and of course, it will sand in places where other machines won't. That being said, the price was insane, and no one should ever buy the Fein version. The Jobmax will do drilling, impact driving, and ratcheting as well as oscillating, and all the Fein does is oscillate, for $400. The Ridgid has right-angle heads, so you can drill and drive in tight spaces. I haven't tried a Bosch.

The Jobmax also takes a reciprocating saw attachment, but it's very weak. Great for birthday cakes and styrofoam.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

tornitore45 wrote:
Bosch oscillating multi tool
I have seen these tools and itch to own one but I am not sure what are used for or what new capability they offer in addition to other power tools.

Logic dictates that if one does not immediately see the benefit and use of a tool, one should not own it. But the thought that I might be missing a tool bugs me.
Stop that crazy talk right now. The reason to buy the tool is the same as for every other tool you own. To compete in the game! You know the one where whomever dies with the most tools wins!

spro

Post by spro »

Well, far as I know Fein was the first. The patent expired or anyway, everyone got into making copies. Hospital use was cutting casts off. I had to believe how neat that was. These are great tools because they work differently than any other.
I did the same thing Steve G did some years ago. I had credit points and got the Rockwell package and it is fine. Not Fein but very useful.
spro

Post by spro »

I'm a wanderer off a distinctly good thread here. Mr. Atunguyd, salute to you and your son. These are the times where he really learns and has a jump start over conceiving without actually knowing how to get there.