Precision machinist

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Precision machinist

Post by Mr Ron »

“NO CAR RUNS, NO AIRCRAFT FLIES AND NO HIP REPLACEMENT IS FITTED BY A DOCTOR WITHOUT PRECISION TOOLS HAVING PREVIOUSLY BEEN IN USE.”

As precision machinist’s, we’re the people that make things.

Things that make a difference in everyone’s quality of life.

And who is is it that makes the tools that help us make that difference?

Why, precision toolmakers, of course.
Quoted from Horn USA, IMTS 2020.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Re: Precision machinist

Post by pete »

Think about it, from birth to death there's nothing you use, live in, drive, buy, eat, or even throw in the garbage that wasn't touched or in some way has it's origins traceable to a machine tool and that machinist. Most today don't have the faintest clue about the importance of machine tools, machinist's and those tool makers.

I was arranging shipping for a lathe from Quebec to B.C. some years ago, the first question was what was being shipped. "A lathe". next question, "what is a lathe"? :-(
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Since my shop is in the 'garage', or rather ex-garage, I took the furnace repair man through it so he wouldn't have to go through the house. When he was leaving he asked what those machines were and what they were for. I was stunned.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
pete

Post by pete »

I bought my little South Bend shaper in Tacoma Washington so had to rent a truck to go get it. Crossing the border back into Canada got a whole load of questions about what I was bringing back, it's value plus the usual inspection since it was more than apparent they had no idea what it was. After that inspection then more questions about what it was and did and why anyone would want or even need one. After probably 20 minutes I highly doubt those two from Canada Customs had any more idea of what it did and why I wanted one than when I started my explanation. It must have been a slow boring night to waste that much time. Guy Lautord has a short story in one of his books about "Where do Gears Come From". Story goes if I recall it correctly a salesman was waiting to see the foreman and asked one of the guys what the shop made. "Gears" was the answer. Apparently the salesman's response was "I didn't know you could make gears".

I'm old enough now that when I started high school there were 4 courses the first year that weren't optional. Metal, wood work, drafting and electrical. After that for the following years then any of those were up to you if you continued to take them or go to something else. Without that exposure I highly doubt I would ever have taken this up as a hobby since it sparked a life long interest in how anything got made. Not to steer this thread OT, but I think it's a huge mistake few high schools today even have shop classes any more. Those shop classes were the only reason I stayed in school as long as I did.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Those shop classes were the only reason I stayed in school as long as I did.
I took every shop class our school offered back when they still had good shop classes and good teachers to teach shop class.

Then at an early age, while most of my class mates were trying to figure out what to do for a job, I was out working at one of the trades I learned in high school. Those classes were Carpentry, Welding, Electrical, small engine repair, plumbing but no lathes or mills. I had to wait many years to gain those skills and most were acquired right here!

Thanks home machinist!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

IMTS 2020?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:38 pm IMTS 2020?
International Manufacturing Technology Show | IMTS 2020
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I know what IMTS is....have spent many weeks there in the past 30 years....

IMTS 2018 just finished....

so quoting from someone @IMTS 2020 must be a Back to the Future moment...????
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

In the early 1960's IMTS stood for International Machine Tool Show and it was held at the International Amphitheater right in the Chicago Stock Yards. The smell of hay, and other assorted aromas was ever present; Lathes & Mills were located where pigs, sheep, and cattle, had stood a few weeks before.

The show was eventually moved to McCormick Place on the lake front. It changed it's name and became International Manufacturing Technology Show in the 1990's.

If you are on their mailing list, or FABTEC's, etc., yes, it is possible to recieve info two years in advance. It costs $$$$$$$$'s to run those shows, and tho IMTS charges $50 to view the exhibitors, the cost per person may be much higher, they need to push attendance from the day the last one ends.
Cabbagestack

Post by Cabbagestack »

I'm not as old as some of you guys, but in the late 60's we had classes available like welding and small engine repair beginning in the 7th & 8th grade. I know, because I took them starting in the eighth grade. Admittedly it was a rural Middle school where such things were deemed necessary by the fathers to start out the youngsters...but never the less. (we actually didn't have a farm but we had 8 acres, but most of my school friends' families near about had farms and orchards) Also the Boy Scouts taught a LOT MORE of outdoor stuff then they do now. I knew more about map reading LONG BEFORE I joined the Army then just about anyone I met when I first joined the Army. Most were from the cities and didn't know a darn thing about the outdoors!

Seems like nowadays no one knows even just a few old school skills.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

When we were travelling we stop at used book stores, in one of them I picked up a Ontario shop textbook from about early 40s,??. In it there was sections on blacksmithing, leatherwork(harnesses), tinsmithing, metal lathe, woodworking, and car repair. It wasn't that thick. Times were simpler as was technology . The car repair section was complete enough to rebuild one.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I spent my 'middle school' and first two years of high school (7-10th grades) in a small, rural school system. I took drafting, woodworking, mechanics and metal shop. We used hand and mechanized woodworking tools; rebuilt a lawnmower engine; and did sheet metal work. Later, in my Junior/Senior years of high school (11-12th grades), I took photography and printing.

That, along with what I learned from my father, have shaped my life in ways I could not have imagined.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"