Precision machinist

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: Precision machinist

Post by tornitore45 »

I flunked the admission exam to the elite middle school where you learn Latin and had to go to trade school. Turned out to be the greatest positive in my developmental life.
In trade school I was introduced to drafting, physic and a bit of algebra before the college bound kids were in the other type of middle school. Physic gave the power to calculate simple problems, helped in my model airplane passion. Technology thought me about tool machines and metallurgy.
We had 3 years of shop wood and metal.
At Thanksgiving the 13 year old grand kid was awkward handling a Parmesan Cheese crank mill, could not grasp the relationship between pressure on the cheese and torque required. Cheese crumbs everywhere except the bowl.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Sounds like you had a teaching opportunity.
~RN
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

tornitore45 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:33 am I flunked the admission exam to the elite middle school where you learn Latin and had to go to trade school. Turned out to be the greatest positive in my developmental life.
In trade school I was introduced to drafting, physic and a bit of algebra before the college bound kids were in the other type of middle school. Physic gave the power to calculate simple problems, helped in my model airplane passion. Technology thought me about tool machines and metallurgy.
We had 3 years of shop wood and metal.
At Thanksgiving the 13 year old grand kid was awkward handling a Parmesan Cheese crank mill, could not grasp the relationship between pressure on the cheese and torque required. Cheese crumbs everywhere except the bowl.
That last sentence reminds me of the fact that when I am digging with a backhoe I STILL pull harder on the lever when I am digging in tough soil...
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

When I was in high school in the late 60's they were starting to phase out the shop classes then. I had to argue with the guidance counselor to let me take them since I was deemed to be in college prep, but I prevailed. They were what got me into a career of mechanical engineering and this great hobby of being a home machinist and live steam railroading.

The educational system has run amuck and doing our children and grand children disservice by not offering the opportunities in learning how to use there minds and hands in the way we once had.

Rob
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:47 pm The educational system has run amuck and doing our children and grand children disservice by not offering the opportunities in learning how to use there minds and hands in the way we once had.
I suspect no one can provide evidence that this statement isn't true.
We have truly lost our way in the US.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I am inclined to agree that the educational system is flawed in not teaching manual arts. However, having said that, the local auto repair shop hires graduates of the local HS auto repair classes. If he is confidant of their ability, then I am, too. The ones I have met are very friendly and competent, but they have a good mentor.
I, personally, took the drafting class offered in HS those many years ago, and design and welding classes at the local university while my buddy was taking summer classes for his major. These steered me to the mechanical engineering school and degree that I used in 48 years of service to the industry.
I had the pleasure of mentoring 6 ME interns at the last place I worked and they were exceptional students and learners. But, the company vetted them severely before I got to see them, so they were toward the top of the available heap, so to speak.
I believe that a few years ago the Akron Technical Institute closed its doors. The fellows that I worked with from there were very good. Now there is Akron CNC school, but I know nothing about it.
Heisler Tool in Willoughby, OH couldn't find good workers, so the owner started his own journeyman school that is now accredited by the state.
Rose Training Systems in Solon, OH trains CNC operators in their in-house school and they also train outside people who are willing to pay for their expertise.
Good people are out there, but hard to find. It is up to the parents to provide the proper guidance and NOT "leave it to the Village" as someone once said.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.