rubberflex collets for model 50 chuck

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ALCOSTEAM

rubberflex collets for model 50 chuck

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I recently picked up a model 50 Jacobs rubberflex collet chuck and have done some research online about collets for it. Still scratching my head as to whether all of the rubberflex collets fit all the chucks or if their was some differences in chucks that only allow certain collets to be used in certain chucks.

any insight would be appreciated

thanks
Magicniner

Re: rubberflex collets for model 50 chuck

Post by Magicniner »

I have a tapping chuck which uses rubberflex collets, I was able to find a couple to cover the range of the tapping chuck but I did find some which wouldn't even fit in it so there are definitely at least two sizes of chuck.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Shars has rubberflex top collets. I wonder if they are compatible with Jacobs Rubberflex.
spro

Post by spro »

It appears the Jacobs model 50 uses series 500 collets. These have protruding outer jaws. My stuff is 900 series and the ranges are similar but the collet dimensions probably aren't. I roughly measured the length, OD of the widest tapered jaws and OD of the smallest part of the tapered jaws.
I used two relaxed collets so there is a range.
Length 1.775"
Outer Taper of jaws 2.350-2.375" OD
Inner Taper of jaws 1.657-1.675" OD