MEK sources

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wlw-19958

Re: MEK sources

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Seeing that we're going "off target," I usually pay
with cash (on-line purchases not withstanding).
I don't like running up my credit card bill and I
have to pay for it eventually anyway. Plus, the
higher my credit card bill, the more it affects my
credit rating (even though I pay off the card, and
don't carry a balance, every month).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

Was just in my home depot and they still sell MEK by the gallon.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Hmm, that's interesting. I usually get it by the quart, so I didn't look for it in gallons. I can't understand why they would eliminate it in only some stores, or eliminate quarts and still carry gallons. Either way, hopefully it will become a non-issue for me next time I go by an Ace.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was taught to use credit cards to BUILD credit, because if you never borrow anything, creditors have no way to grade you.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:51 pm I was taught to use credit cards to BUILD credit, because if you never borrow anything, creditors have no way to grade you.
True, that.
For years, I paid cash for everything. I didn't have a credit card, because I didn't want a credit card.

Fast forward to the period of time when I started building our shop and house. I applied for a credit card with Home Depot, as I was buying a lot of material there, and they offered a 10% discount on the first purchase. I was refused. I was told I didn't have a credit rating. I didn't have bad credit---I had no credit.

When it was time to get online, I had to have a credit card to do so. I applied through our local credit union, and was successful. Can't do much online without one. I now begrudgingly use a credit card. How our lives have changed. It is now unusual to write a check.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I use a CC for everything. It gets me a reward of 1% to 3%. In the last 40 years I had 3 issues with frauds that were easily contested and resolved. I know, my life is an open book for anyone determined to find out. He will probably discover I like Italian food and buy lots of tools and strange stuff, unlike 99% of the "normal" people. The convenience of not dealing with cash and change makes it worth for me. I pay it off every month and never had problem with credit. Started my financial life with a home mortgage and that created the credit history one needs to get more credit.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I pay mostly with a debit card; it's usually faster than cash + change + getting the cash from a machine.
In Europe credit cards aren't used much, not as many shops accept them. very few small businesses do.

The reason Europeans don't like credit cards is because they're worried about fraud; the banks here are too stupid to realize that if they offered American type fraud protection, they start making American type profits.

I believe the only reason the US banks did it was because it was required by law back when credit cards were a new thing.

It's sort of similar to the way phone companies make more money by offering cheaper rates, yet fight tooth and nail when legislation is passed to force them to do it.
Those executives in suits don't seem to understand that if you offer customers a good service at a good price, they use your service more.