MEK sources

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

MEK sources

Post by BadDog »

Are there any common/reasonable sources for MEK now? I used to get it from several sources, including Home Depot's paint department.

I recently ran out, but it seems this is yet another product that works well but has now been eliminated from the market in favor of things that don't work nearly as well. Am I out of luck, or is there still a way to get this without some sort of chemistry lab license? Should I stock up on acetone and lacquer thinner before it's banned or removed "for my safety" by the nanny state?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Re: KEK sources

Post by Harold_V »

I've edited your post to correct the heading (KEK was replaced with MEK). If that was the wrong thing to do, please indicate that here and I'll make the change back. I did it so those who might do a search would have the desired results.

That said, I recently bought what HD likes to call a replacement for MEK. The container suggests it can be used as an acceptable substitute. I wanted to thin some plastic solvent, and it appears to work as hoped. So far I'm happy.

Nanny state.
Oh, yeah! That started being a problem for me in the early 90's when I was refining precious metals. It became very difficult to buy some of the required acids. Sure is nice of the government to keep watch over us, eh? :twisted:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
atunguyd

Re: MEK sources

Post by atunguyd »

I guess that is one area where I am more fortunate than you guys. Here in south Africa you can buy anything!

I lived for 12 years in Sydney Australia where it was difficult to even buy sulphuric acid for anodising, one had to rather buy battery acid there which is 50% diluted sulphuric and even then in limited quantities.

Upon returning to south Africa I went into a chemical shop to try get some sulphuric acid. Not sure what the limitations of were I enquired if I could buy a small quantity of 98% sulphuric. Wasn't I surprised when the woman behind the counter asked if I wanted it in 2l,5l,10l or 25l.

I ordered the 5l then thought I would chance my luck with enquiring about nitric acid. I was blown away with the same reply that I could have any quantity I wished.

Walked out of there with highly concentrated sulphuric and nitric acid without needing to show them anything other than the colour of my money.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

In what application would you prefer to use MEK instead of Acetone?
I just finished a can of MEK and replaced with Acetone, for my purposes (thinning and de-greasing) they seem to work the same without the MEK toxicity.
I think the banning has to do with its status as
"Table II precursor under the United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in ---------------- Drugs and Psychotropic Substances"
rather than toxicity.

Try buying Nitromethane to pep up a model engine.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Acetone is also on that list. So is half your chemistry book.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Lowe's here still has it. It's $24/gallon.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have been looking MEK up to figure out why it's disappearing in some areas. Uncle Nanny Sam says MEK, acetone, and toluene are used in the illegal manufacture of cocaine, but he/she also says cocaine is not manufactured in the US.

MEK can be used to make MEK peroxide, which is an explosive. I suspect this is the real problem. MEK isn't considered to be a danger to people's health, except probably in California, where they will soon be trying to find a way to put carcinogen labels on raindrops.

It's remarkable how much our lives have been changed in order to save us from people who adhere to one particular faith. This summer, my local post office took out its outdoor drop boxes. This has been happening all over the US for years. The USPS claims it's doing this because it saves money. Does anyone believe that? I have my doubts. Terrorists have a long history of putting bombs in mailboxes and garbage cans. In Israel, I saw trash receptacles made of steel over an inch thick, with the openings pointed upward.

Maybe I should pick up several gallons of MEK. I have only used it a few times, but I don't want to be deprived if I need it a year from now.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

In California I cant seem to fine MEK or turpentine anymore. Luckily Oregon has the “good stuff”.

The Oregon Lowe’s stores even have a handy chart in the solvent isle that shows what is comparable with what.

I am sure that fine woodworkers in California are probably doing moonshine like runs to get the solvents needed to work with simple things like linseed oil now...
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I lived in New York City back in the 50's. There was a chemical supply house called Winns on west 23rd St. I used to go there and buy Sulphuric acid in one pound containers and carry it home on the subway. They sold every chemical that was available with no questions asked. I don't think it's allowed anymore. There were chemistry sets sold to kids called "Chemcraft". They contained chemicals that could be used to make a bomb. How times have changed. Chemistry sets today don't contain anything more dangerous than NaCl.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:39 amMEK can be used to make MEK peroxide, which is an explosive.
Is the MEKP used as a catalyst for polyester resin the same? If so there are no bans on it that I know of and I can buy a gallon over the counter for $51Can. If it is the same and freely available then restricting/banning the materials to make it from doesn't make sense.

Pete
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

“True Value” has it in our small town.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Inspector wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:18 am
SteveHGraham wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:39 amMEK can be used to make MEK peroxide, which is an explosive.
Is the MEKP used as a catalyst for polyester resin the same? If so there are no bans on it that I know of and I can buy a gallon over the counter for $51Can. If it is the same and freely available then restricting/banning the materials to make it from doesn't make sense.

Pete
The catalyst is diluted MEKP.