MEK sources

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: MEK sources

Post by tornitore45 »

In the sixties I lived in Milan and was flying model airplane. There was a shop in the center of town that sold, to a 15 years old, the ingredients to make the fuel: Castor Oil, Methanol, Nitromethane, Amil Nitrate, Ethyl Ether all of which can kill you.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Indications are, the chief reason for making the bulk of the chemicals unavailable to the general public is due to an attempt to limit individuals from making explosives. Nitric acid is a good example. It is still available for commercial use, and at a price that boggles the mind. Even in small quantities like a 55 gallon drum, it can be purchased for <$4/gallon, yet the average guy, assuming he's successful in making a purchase, would pay at least $60/gallon.

I do my own black oxide. In fact, I just finished some of the rebuilt or replaced components for my muller.
Muller spindles.JPG
To do it requires sodium hydroxide (common lye) and potassium nitrate. Neither is readily available, and costly when found.

Ammonium nitrate (common fertilizer) is an acceptable source for the nitrate required for black oxide. Time was when anyone could go to a garden shop and make a purchase. Good luck finding it now. It's still made, and in huge volume, but it is used for blasting, and is no longer available for those who wish to fertilize a garden or lawn.

We have given up a large portion of our rights (and conveniences) in the name of safety.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

tornitore45 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 pm In the sixties I lived in Milan and was flying model airplane. There was a shop in the center of town that sold, to a 15 years old, the ingredients to make the fuel: Castor Oil, Methanol, Nitromethane, Amil Nitrate, Ethyl Ether all of which can kill you.
Yep! It was the same here in the US.
As a youngster (14 years old), I purchased a little 109 Craftsman lathe. With it I made a small cannon, 3/8" bore, using a part of an auto axle for material. I used to make my own black powder, some of the components for which I would purchase at Vincent Drug, in Midvale, Utah. No questions asked, although the druggist (the eldest Vincent son) would look at me with questioning eyes.

Interesting comment on Amil Nitrate. If memory serves, it's an antidote for exposure to hydrocyanic acid (cyanide poisoning).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rick

Post by Rick »

MEK. Melts Everything Ketone
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Thanks Harold, you were correct. Can't believe I misspelled that and didn't notice.

As for why MEK, that seems to have been answered. As a (previously) readily available solvent for general use, some some specific uses with regards to paint/finishes, MEK had no equal (that I know of).

I'll be checking Lowes and TV/Ace.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was perplexed by the high price of potassium nitrate, and then I started Googling "saltpeter," "terrorism," and "bomb." I'll probably get a visit from the feds this week.

I'm kidding about the feds, but it happened to someone I know. Her husband Googled "pressure cooker" after the Boston Marathon bombing, and they "knocked on her door," which means they raided her home politely.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/ar ... es/312599/

I found sodium nitrate online at a better price. I am hoping it will eat stumps as well as the real thing.

Welcome to Nanny World. The playpen is going to keep getting smaller and smaller. If it weren't for the Second Amendment, we would be limited to Nerf guns already.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Mr. Ron, that was quite a blast from the past about chem suppliers in NYC, I wonder if Winns became City Chemical on W. 26th St.
I didn't start buying odd chems till the late 70's and City Chemical was the place to go.
I often wonder how the counter man fared, walking in to pick up orders, you were hit with a bitter odor, that couldn't have been good
for the poor guy.

Baddog, if the big box home improvement emporiums aren't carrying MEK for whatever reason, you should locate paint and
finish stores that cater to wood workers, they should have all the MEK you need and then some.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Thanks. Not sure about woodworking finishes around here, but it crossed my mind to try S-W or the like. There is an Ace not too far from my trip going to my daughter's house, so I'll try that first.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham writes:
I found sodium nitrate online at a better price. I am hoping it will eat stumps as well as the real thing.

Not as well. Potassium nitrate provides potassium and nitrate, both of which are needed by the micro-organisms that actually eat the wood and both of which are in somewhat short supply inside the stump.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

You might also look at Woodcrafters or Rockler's, both woodworking supply stores.

I haven't looked recently to see if I can still get MEK, but I do see acetone and lacquer thinner all the time. For thinning finishes, there's a scale from slow drying to fast dying -- of course, I can't find it right now...
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

What an interesting future we'll have, if they make us sign papers and produce ID to get acetone and lacquer thinner.

Totalitarianism is on the way, however, so there is no point in getting agitated.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It's already here; how often does anyone pay with cash? All card transactions are traceable.
It might not be illegal to pay with cash, but it is normally considered suspicious when the sum is 3 figures or higher.
I'm sure if you bought a quantity of fertilizer, acid, or solvent with cash today someone would be making a call.

Here in Portugal a few years ago a new law was brought in, all cash registers are connected via internet to the tax department. They can see your purchases in real time; it sounds like sci-fi but it's here now.