What is a good rust preventative for machine storage.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

737mechanic

What is a good rust preventative for machine storage.

Post by 737mechanic »

So after 4 or 5 months of my lathe and mill sitting unused, I noticed more than acceptable rust build up on various pieces and parts so it got me thinking what is a good spray on rust preventative. I would have thought the way oil and other lubricants would have prevented the humidity from causing any rust but it happened.

Years ago I did an experiment with BreakFree CLP, Rem Oil, and WD40 to see what the best rust preventative was out of those three and break free won hands down so I was thinking it would be a good idea to spray down the lathe and mill with break free when I felt they might be unused for a while. What are you guys thoughts on this and what do you guys use to prevent rusting.
BadDog

Re: What is a good rust preventative for machine storage.

Post by BadDog »

WD40 isn't even worth considering. But in earlier discussion of this topic, I remember that Boeshield always came out on top. And there are a large variety of options used by the tool and die industry. And then there is always heavier stuff like cosmoline. But it's going to vary depending on whether the treated parts are going to be used in the near future. Some things work really great but are a headache to get off when time to use. Fortunately I don't have a rust issue of any sort to worry about.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

:? Well, so much for my memory of Boeshield coming out on top. :oops:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If you are a fan of watching rust form, Ned took pics, month by month.
Pretty neat test.

http://www.home-machine-shop.com/GREAT_ ... -08-1.html
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Wondering what people think of Corrosion-X.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I see that test included Corrosion-X. Not good. On the up side, it's nice to see that motor oil worked well.

I had virtually no rust issues in Miami, but here in Ocala, things rust for no reason. I believe the metal gets cold and attracts condensation. Really maddening. I was used to leaving parts in the garage and having no problems, but when winter came last year, I got some nasty surprises.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

cheapest tube grease you can find with a dollop of thinner painted on with a brush. It 'dries' to a coat and comes off with a wipe of any cloth. WD -40 is useless after a few days, and most spray stuff is good for a coupla weeks. Regular motor oil is ok and migrates in a film to get where you miss, and of course wipes off easily. Generally the heavier more grease like the longer it protects.

i used to cover all the machines with dust covers of canvas and painters drop cloths, but the mice stopped that practice. They had weddings under the tents and pp on everything, not to mention building nests out of he cloth.

One crapman tool box has the front lock missing, and they ruined a handful of drills stored there with a nest. I had to use some silver aluminum tape to shut that off.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

In prior threads, old timers recommend wiping machine tools down with lanolin. Apparently this works quite well.

However, I haven’t a clue where to find lanolin these days. There aren’t any real hardware stores left anyplace close to me - just blister pack junk merchants passing off DYI stuff as real tools and hardware.

I don’t think any of these spray on aerosols will do any good at all, if your tools get high levels of condensation. The winter moisture here in the PNW sometimes gets so heavy, that water runs off the tools in rivulets or streaks. The condensation seems to float the light weight, spray on oil treatments right off the surface, and washes it away.

This winter, I think I will try an experiment by covering my lathes in plastic sheeting, and putting maybe a 100 watt incandescent lamp on the floor underneath. The rising heat will be trapped by the sheeting and perhaps keep the lathe warm and dry enuf to starve off condensation. Hence prevent rust formation.

We used to put a light bulb in the cabin of our fishing boat in Alaska during the winter, when stored in the water. One light bulb was enuf to keep condensation and frozen ice off the inside surface of all the windows, all winter, even at 0 F and below.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Stick one of these (or the magnetic version) https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Heater ... 24100.html on the underside of each machine. It will get the heat into the metal where you need it.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Although I have never run a comprehensive rust test, I find that GIBBS Brand lubricant, penetrant, corrosion inhibitor, and water repellant works, especially on blued surfaces. www.gibbsbrand.com Whether it works better than motor oil is up for debate but it is way more expensive, so it MUST be better. :!:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

I discovered that aerosol engine fogging oil seems to work quite well sprayed on stuff to keep rust at bay. It dries to a tough film. Looks like linseed oil dried out. Use it on my blacksmithing iron. Just trying to use up stuff in the spray locker.....

Bob D.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0