What is a good rust preventative for machine storage.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: What is a good rust preventative for machine storage.

Post by SteveHGraham »

You can buy a pound of lanolin for $17 on Ebay.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Now that I realize I may have been snookered when I bought Corrosion-X, I am interested in lanolin. I have read that you can mix lanolin with a thinner which evaporates, in a 1:5 ratio. Use the mixture to coat steel or iron, and when the solvent evaporates, you have a lanolin film. It's easier than rubbing lanolin on with a rag.

Some non-flammable candidates for the solvent: kerosene, WD-40, and mineral spirits. I guess diesel would work, but the smell would take a long time to dissipate. Where I live, kerosene can be had for $10/gallon. A pound of kerosene mixed with 5 pounds of kerosene would give around a gallon of rust preventative for $27, which is better than paying $23/quart for Corrosion-X. A web source says kerosene weighs 6.68 pounds/gallon, so pour out one pint of kerosene, replace it with lanolin, and you're somewhere around 1:5.

Just a thought.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

I live in the coast in sunny south Africa (similar climate to San Diego). Not only is humidity around 90% all the time and weather hot, we also have the sea breeze blowing up the hill and into the house. Everything rusts here!
In my workshop I run an electric dehumidifier 24/7 and I am getting no rust on my machines.

My table saw on the other hand sits in the garage and I need to sand down the the cast iron table every 6 months and apply paraffin wax.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:49 pm I had virtually no rust issues in Miami, but here in Ocala, things rust for no reason.
Welcome to Florida!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

737 what are you using on the airplanes where you work?

Pete
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:28 am A pound of kerosene mixed with 5 pounds of kerosene would give around a gallon of rust preventative for $27,
Unless I don't understand common math, 5 pounds of kerosene mix with a pound of kerosene would yield six pounds of kerosene. :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham writes:
Some non-flammable candidates for the solvent: kerosene, WD-40, and mineral spirits.

All of those are flammable.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

No, those are all combustible.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:12 pm
SteveHGraham wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:28 am A pound of kerosene mixed with 5 pounds of kerosene would give around a gallon of rust preventative for $27,
Unless I don't understand common math, 5 pounds of kerosene mix with a pound of kerosene would yield six pounds of kerosene. :lol:

H
This is what you get when you kill the forum's "edit" button.

Well, wait. No. I was right. Five pounds of kerosene is not far from a gallon, and a pound of lanolin would make up most of the difference.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

cosmoline….

I have stuff left over from WWII that is in the same state as it was when it was packed at the Springfield Armory...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Fluid Film contains Lanolin, I have used it and it worked well, but I did no long term tests.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Because I got interested in this subject, I looked up cosmoline, and I haven't found any reasonable prices yet.