Shop realities

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Shop realities

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm Common sense suggests that 17.5 CFM means you can run the pump without a tank at typical compressor pressure (maybe 100 psi) and get 17.5 CFM without losing steam. I am not a compressor engineer, however.

Your post reminds me why I hate imperial units.
CFM always refers to uncompressed volume. It's effectively the rate at which the compressor takes in air.

The correct metric unit is the "normal cubic meter per second" but you will probably actually see liters/minute.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Long ago when I was working at a car repair garage in the US, my boss had an air powered grinder.
I don't remember the brand, but knowing him it would have been a good one.

That thing would drain our 5HP shop compressor 3x faster than it could recharge; and the grinder definitely wasn't 5 hp, let alone 15.
Also, the air expanding through it would make it go ice cold [further reducing efficiency of course]. Meanwhile, energy was being converted to heat at the compressor head. The inefficiency of it all was just amazing.

We had little air drills that seemed to work ok, but basically I prefer electric motor tools.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

The only advantage of air tools over electrics is power density. They are losing that edge as motors get better.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
John Hasler wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 am The only advantage of air tools over electrics is power density. They are losing that edge as motors get better.
How about when working in a wet or hazardous environment?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

You might get power density; someone will have to do some testing to work that out; difficult as power claims by tool makers can be fanciful.

On the negative side, those tools will only work in your shop, at the limit of your air hoses. Your electric tools don't work everywhere either of course, but they work in many more places than the air tools.

Wet / dangerous; for the last 20 or 30 years, we've had GFI [ground fault interrupter] breakers. they pretty much eliminate the danger of electrocution, and although nuisance trips can be a pain I'm quite fond of them.

Of course air tools don't spark, so in explosive environments they have a real edge.
If I start mining or refining gasoline, I'll definitely go air.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Short of immersion double insulation plus GFIs takes care of the wet. You're right about hazardous areas. Electric motor power density in tools and other small motors is going to increase substantially as brushless motor technology takes over. The claims made by marketing firms are irrelevant, of course.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

For air piping, I put this into my shop https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200484023. I would recommend if anybody is considering it, throw away the instructions. If you follow the instructions, the joints will blow apart when you least expect it. For instance, I was doing a milling operation and concentrating on precise work...a very load explosion....I jump about 3 feet...work is ruined! I had to go back and use never seize on every connection and It still leaks. The connectors are stainless steel.

Jim B
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I used PEX, the same as the plumbing in my house. I used loctite string on threaded joints.
No leakage and so far nothing has exploded.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Oops! I meant to say that I would NOT recommend this stuff that I used for air line.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200484023

Jim B