Speaking of Shop Realities ...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Speaking of Shop Realities ...

Post by Steggy »

Why is it when you are working on a car and you drop a bolt it always rolls under the hottest part of the exhaust system?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I dropped a bolt down between the ex manifold and the head and just replaced it with another.
The following day, the starter motor started running by itself.
The dropped bolt wiggled itself right over the starter motor cable lugs.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Why is it that if you have any opening in the floor, a dropped object will most always roll toward it? Or into it?

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Typical day in the shop
Attachments
23843516_1465896173517814_3384720234301534987_n.jpg
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
RSG

Post by RSG »

LOL@Rick! I did just that last night while mounting a DRO scale on my mill......
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
JackF

Post by JackF »

If it can, it will,...............and it did. :roll: :wink: :x

Jack.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Somewhere in my shop is about 5# of dropped hardware. When my children clean out the garage/shop they will wonder why I stored all that stuff under and behind things.
My favorite stupid thing is leaving the micrometers in a bolt box and then spending days off and on looking for it. Fortunately I needed a similar bolt just before I spent the $$$ for a new set of mics.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

How come when you throw something out because you'll never use it,,,,,,you need it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

earlgo writes:
> My favorite stupid thing is leaving the micrometers in a bolt box and then spending days off and on looking for it.

I don't know how many times I've put myself in a state of frustration by putting something away in the wrong place. When I don't find it where it belongs my first reaction, of course, is "I left it out again. Now, where did use it last? Not there. Ok. Start searching." Eventually I give up and start on something else. I open the drawer with the milling clamps in it. There's my voltmeter.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

My reality is why does installing one additional electrical circuit in my cleaned up shop end up looking like this?
Attachments
C1044E8C-E9A0-4072-897A-72BBE6835F7E.jpeg
E0C53D36-5737-4CF9-ACF1-08C830A7CE20.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
TRX

Post by TRX »

When I need a 12" piece of 1" round bar, and the longest pieces I have on hand are 11-1/4, 11-1/2, and 11-3/4"...

It would be funny if similar things didn't happen so often. So a lot of projects start with "weld up two small pieces into a big-enough piece..."
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Just this morning I couldn't find my shingle hatchet. I used it a few weeks ago... it's not in the 'roofing' bucket... looked all over the shop... nowhere.

I found it while looking for something else. It was in a bucket... the wrong one!! Now I have to fix the shop roof before it rains tomorrow.

Every day it's something..

Pete
Just tryin'