Suggested method of machinng

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

charkmandler

Re: Suggested method of machinng

Post by charkmandler »

A late reply due to family illness. In the end I was unable to get any rectangular bar stock of the specified material that wouldn't have needed a fair bit of milling to size and deemed that it would be faster to make from circular material. I used a 3mm profiling tool that had a small radius (can't remember spec) on each side and turned as one and then parted off. I then made a jig to hold the parts to mill off each side 10 at a time. The surface finish doesn't look great but were actually pretty smooth when running a nail across the surface - I am pleased as EN8 isn't the nicest to turn. All turned to within a .0005" tolerance with only one wasted due to brain fade. Photo is of the parts bagged up (parts still have milling swart on them) as somehow I lost the other photos.
I did have an odd occurrence in the middle of the run. For the first 9 parts the DRO remained accurate with the turned diameter, but for the next 6 parts each diameter was about .006" more than the reading and the last cut. This then took time with more measuring / checking. I changed the tool insert after this happened with 3 parts and still got the same moving reading for the next 3. After this had been happening for 6 parts I got consistent readings and diameters (just as for the first 9) for the remainder of the run.
Nothing changed through the whole run and I used the same tool throughout so did not remove it from the holder - odd.
Attachments
IMG_2697.JPG
pete

Post by pete »

If ALL the lathes assembly was unquestionably tight from the carriage to the tool tip during that run of parts then I'd suspect a loose component holding your dro scale or reader head if you were seeing inconsistent readings and results. If it's a decent dro proven in the past it can be trusted then somethings obviously not quite correct.
charkmandler

Post by charkmandler »

DRO is good and continues to be. I'm really at a loss as I have not had the problem since and have been on the lookout. Hopefully, just one of those things.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

This experience is one where one would have been wise to compare the DRO against the screw. It would reveal whether it was the DRO, or not.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.