Ceiling tile for my shop

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TomB

Re: Ceiling tile for my shop

Post by TomB »

I had a similar garage in upstate NY, It gets very cold in that area do I wanted a lot if insulation with minimal labor. I put 24" wide by 6" bats between the trusses, squeezing them close together. Then to add something to hold them up I put up 4x8 sheets of OS B. To get rid of the problem of edges not lining up on the trusses I put the sheets up so they stuck out about a foot on either side of a pair of trusses. I left about a 1" gap between the sheets. The sheets lift nicely on a Sheetrock hoist and the gaps mean locating the sheets is not a precision job. I held the sheets to the trusses with 1 5/8 drywall screws using 12 per sheet. I left the sheets unpainted and the screews showing so if I needed to add some wiring I could take a sheet down then put it back in place.

Tom