Trike build, almost finished.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toglhot

Re: Trike build, almost finished.

Post by toglhot »

All finished, put the last bits together this morning. Unfortunately, the front gear lever doesn't want to play so I have the gear set on the middle sprocket. Hope I can fix the lever,danned expensive things.
Attachments
fside[1].jpg
P_20181201_113156[1].jpg
P_20181201_113721[1].jpg
P_20181201_114503[1].jpg
top[1].jpg
P_20181201_114546[1].jpg
Patio

Post by Patio »

The trike looks pretty good from where I am sitting. Don't be so hard on yourself, you are miles ahead of most, because most don't build anything. Keep on keepin on! You are doing good.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Shiny seats look nice but going around corners are a little disconcerting so I stuck some 3mm yoga mat to the top of the three panels, much better.
Attachments
123.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Hi. Yes, it appears to be capable of considerable speed! Looking real good.
spro

Post by spro »

That thing about armpit rests is tied to safety considerations. Some things can collapse and trap you when it would be better to be released. Break-away, can't say but there is something for this which doesn't look like a crutch but is support. Okay, fold up from the back rest, your engineering, whatever it is. The Worst thing is depending upon it and it breaks loose. Upsets the whole vehicle in a flash.
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Off to the metal shop this morning for more steel to make another chassis.

Have discovered the seating position has a few problems: I've mounted the seat too far forward hich allows to much wheel slip when pedalling up hill on loose surfaces so, I'll address that first off.

Whilst I'm at it I'll bring the steer levers closer, widen the seat base fr my ever increasing butt size. I'll also reshape the seat back to give better support going around corners.

this time I'll use 32 x 32 x 1.5 mm bright steel tube rather than RHS: slightly larger and heavier by .347 grams but, pretty sure my legs can handle that alright.

Just ergonomics really, so! Into the bin for the old chassis and out of the shop with a nice bright, shiny, steel chassis.
spro

Post by spro »

I know you hated to get rid of the older new frame but you have to make it right. Glad you are sticking with it. It is really a great project.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I think a La-Z-Boy would make a good seat.....and take care of position problems.
After all....they are adjustable!
Talk about cycling in style!
;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

The basic design examples have been around a long time. There is one thing about welding bicycle parts together and another thing to make it roadworthy at higher speeds. Sure you can purchase one but that is the problem. All this calculation and engineering is lost by spending $$$$ when it was a custom machine from the beginning. This is a road trip before it hits the road and all of this knowledge is useful.
I'll bet there are camber angles which change during curves and other neat stuff... It already happened but not the same package.
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Part way through the new chassis and then the new wireless speedo arrived so took time off the chassis to make a mount for the speedo and mirror. Simple fix, just a 300m lemgth of 12mm aly tube shrunk into a square piece of acetal for the axle mount. The speedo and mirror are housed on a bracket made from a 25mm piece of round acetal. Rather than modify the mirror, which I can get anywhere, I drilled an 18mm hole in the acetal for the mirror mount and the 12 mm aly tube is shrunk onto the speedo bracket. Simple but looks neat.
Attachments
P_20181231_171447[1].jpg
P_20181231_163104[1].jpg
P_20181231_163048[1].jpg
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Another addition: I had a spare coolant hose, normally used on my lathe, in the workshop so i fixed it to the back of the seat and mounted a water bottle to the front deraileur post linking them together with a length of retic hose.
Attachments
P_20190111_172531[1].jpg
P_20190111_172408[1].jpg
P_20190111_172338[1].jpg
spro

Post by spro »

I must have missed something here. You can't be drinking from that line. What about lab grade pure hose with #12 copper wire wrapped around?