fractional hp motor wire repair

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Magicniner

Re: fractional hp motor wire repair

Post by Magicniner »

spro wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:40 am This is good and very important because you can't find, well you can find old ones. Older ones are drying up.
Modern motors are available in a wide range of configurations provided your budget isn't "Tuppence & a Balloon" and a competent machinist ought to be able to modify a motor for their own requirements.
spro

Post by spro »

Part of the problem was my wording of the advantages. Sure the bearing is in the case but the outboard bell bearing section protrudes. This makes the difference of > 1 1/2" shaft length for a stepped pulley. One can buy longer shaft motors and I have. The same or slightly larger hp have a smaller dia shaft. Even then; placing the outboard bearing Within the stepped pulley makes more sense.
spro

Post by spro »

The older motors had a 3/4" shaft and fit the original step pulleys. The case bolts aligned closer to original mounting plate. They were right heavy but that weight was stability of the vertical heads. Nowadays, it is different with higher speed and cobalt end mills. That is a different thing.
It is that these motors are going away rapidly. There are fine examples of fine U.S. manufacture being sold or scrapped, depending upon the application. I wouldn't suggest a sleeve bearing type with minimal outboard thrust bearing for vertical use.