Let us discuss

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Let us discuss

Post by Harold_V »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:18 pm Make it a 1.5 scale v12 liquid cooled diesel engine that could power our model locomotives ...that would be exciting.

Nyle
Indeed! Such a model would likely hold broad appeal, especially if it could be used as suggested. Most model engines suffer from excessive speed, so there's a lot of issues that would have to be addressed. Good idea, though! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Diesel model airplane engines work, but their high rpm must be necessary (laws of physics) for the small compression volume to generate sufficient heat for fuel combustion. And I believe the fuel has added ether to lower the combustion temperature?
Sure would be a great accomplishment to make such a multi-cylinder miniature diesel engine.

Perhaps the Fairbanks-Morse opposed pistons design could be a solution: Double the compression for the crank shaft throw.
Makes a tall engine, though.
~RN
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I have my thoughts, but I'd love to hear yours!!!
Ok, fair enough!

I've followed NYCCNC for a lot of years. He started out in his apartment with a very small machine but he was able to get vendors to support his habit well enough to move to some very nice machines. I'm not even sure how he pulled it off but he has done very well, well enough in fact to own a Haas VMC that probably cost $80,000-$100,000 depending on what he got with it when he took delivery.

I guess the bottom line is this, he loves what he is doing, he's got people to support his [habit, business, hobby] as it has been all of those things and now he owns a pretty nicely equipped machine shop!

If all that makes him happy then I am happy for him as well! Is there any reason for me to diss him in any way because he is not doing just manual work? No I don't see any point in that, let him do what he does and let each one of us excel at what we do regardless of the cost of our machinery or the comlexity of our projects.

If our happiness depends on being the guy with the most expensive tooling then someday we will discover someone else has more modern or costly tooling than we do, bummer.

Mine are paid for! :D

Happy hobbies everyone.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

So my first thought was, "Okay, that's neat, but is it really efficient?" Like versus finishing a casting?

My second was, "What a waste!" Granted, the chips can theoretically be recycled, but it kind of reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn4k2TPIJf0
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

"Okay, that's neat, but is it really efficient?"
Can't argue with that!

Love the toothpick!

Dave C.
tim9lives

Post by tim9lives »

No doubt CNC is very cool and maybe one day I will get the time to play with some sort of mini mill conversion with a couple of steppers and such. But that's way far away at this point.
FWIW... Will the engine work ? I have no clue however I noticed it had no coolant jackets.... No water jackets for a radiator or coolant. That's why engine blocks are castings.... They cast the water jackets and hence that's what those "freeze plugs" really are.... Part of the sand casting process for the water coolant. That V-8 had none of that. But, still very cool IMO.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

At that scale air cooling probably suffices. If not cooling passages could be drilled.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would not be too quick to assume that NYCCNC's machining is self-sustaining. He started out in his living room, and then suddenly he had a way-too-big shop in another state with expensive machines. He may have inherited money, he may have parents who were happy to give him loans, or maybe he has investment income.

He only makes a few products, and they appeal to a very small market. When he shows his shop in videos, there isn't a whole lot going on.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I would not be too quick to assume that NYCCNC's machining is self-sustaining.
Don't forget his rather large You Tube income, his sponsors and so on. I'm not to sure he has to make much of anything!

As far as the engine in the video.. I think that was just a demonstration of what they could do with the students he has working for FREE!

Time will tell!

Dave C.
737mechanic

Post by 737mechanic »

All I have to say is I wonder how many lines of code and who coded it. To me, it's simply amazing to be able to sit back and watch a computer control a machine from start to finish.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

All I have to say is I wonder how many lines of code and who coded it.
Not to worry, if memory serves me I think it was modeled in Fusion 360 (a 3 D Cad program that also does the G-code)

So yea, lots of lines of code but not done by hand. I use Fusion 360 as well and I love it. I take a print, draw a model and then post the G-code.

I never thought I would ever be able to do it but with some tutorials and some patience, I have it working pretty well.

I made the pieced for my chess set using this process.

So just like NYCCNC, sometimes we make stuff just to see if we can do it. It's not always about making money, well not for me anyway!

Dave C.