Let us discuss

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Let us discuss

Post by neanderman »

https://youtu.be/wHstzxuryMk

I have my thoughts, but I'd love to hear yours!!!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
liveaboard

Re: Let us discuss

Post by liveaboard »

If I had a rocket ship, I could fly to the moon; but all I have is an ancient little lathe and a drill press.
So yeah, it's all really slick but doesn't add much to my existence.
I'm more interested in engines that perform a function.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Depends, I do not mean leak proof underwear.
If one is in business to make money by producing 100 or 1000 of pieces or even one piece but has a building full of engineers, CAD operators, and a large software budget then CNC is the only way to go and the more advanced and costly the better.

On the other hand if one enjoy the hobby of making models and challenging himself to do good work then manual, dial driven machines are unbeatable.

By the time I have drawn the project on CAD, converted to CAM, set up the machine, loaded the right cutters set, taken rigorous record of cutter size and offset, put up with the idiosyncrasies of anything that runs on a computer ... I have already finished the second part after tossing the first one I screwed up.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Mauro, you forgot to mention the time taken to design and build the holding fixture for the raw material, be it a tombstone with fixtures or a single station fixture. This of course in relation to a CNC mill.
As a programmer for a 3-1/2 axis Cincinnati Milicron horizontal mill in a former job, the holding fixtures for multiple parts are equally as important as all the other items you mentioned. If the material is not located identically for each run, one ends up with scrap. There are electronic probes that allow the machine to locate the material, but they are bloody expensive and if not programmed properly, not useful.
--earlgo (BTDT, GTTS)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

tornitore45 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 am Depends, I do not mean leak proof underwear.
Correction. Leak RESISTANT.

As for the video, how do we know the engine will run? I wonder. Put the rest of the parts in it and fire it up, and then you'll find out whether the machining was any good.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Correction. Leak RESISTANT.
I bow to the expert. :lol: :lol: :lol: I am not there yet but is good to know.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Mauro, you forgot to mention
Erlago
I just wrote from my very limited knowledge of what is involved in getting a part out of CNC machining.
I knew it was more complicated than what one perceives by watching.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Everyone knows that with CNC machines you simply load in your drawing, clamp down a chunk of material, hit cycle start and out comes a part that looks like your drawing....it's as simple as that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My nephew works for a company in which the owner and the general manager actually think that's how CNC machines work. No clue whatsoever!
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

It's neat but at the end of the day it would only interest me significantly if it ended up in an RC car or if it was made at a scale which would enable me to sit in and drive the car it's fitted to.
Engineering at less than 12" to the foot is simply Engineering with some ambition subtracted! :D
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Make it a 1.5 scale v12 liquid cooled diesel engine that could power our model locomotives ...that would be exciting.

Nyle
pete

Post by pete »

I'd have to judge the custom designed 1/3rd scale RC controlled buggy project on Youtube by Keith5700 as a huge step up of complexity and genius over NYC CNC'S efforts. And nary a 5 axis Haas in sight. What Keith is doing has to be judged as Model Engineering at it's very highest level. That's not to take anything away from the highly skilled loco builders here. But figuring out and building working electronic fuel injection and the V 10 it runs, plus have it run as well as anything full size is way above all but the very very few who could do it. For anyone who hasn't seen Keiths videos about it he's got 7 videos up so far about the project that are well worth anyone's time. Mind boggling would be about the best description I can think of.

I also understand just enough about Rich Carlstedt's Monitor Engine build to know there's only a handful of people if that world wide who could take on that project and succeed as well as he has. Many here won't know it, but he's a well recognized expert on the engine and gets invitations to the museum to give detailed lectures that has the recovered full size engine. I'm also not suggesting getting good parts off a 5 axis CNC machine doesn't take good skills. It obviously does, doing it manually takes a wee bit more imo.
spro

Post by spro »

The other thing is reading dials and going thru the books when we were younger. As has been said, we do custom jobs and don't need a machine costing as much as our house. They are super in many ways because we can buy certain popular things but one offs,no.