feeling stupid

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

feeling stupid

Post by liveaboard »

Why I feel stupid today;
Because today I did something stupid, therefore, I am stupid.
I broke a tap. Held the work down with one hand and pulled the tap wrench with the other, just pure stupid.
But why FEEL stupid?
Feeling stupid [or embarrassed] is, I believe, a behavior modifying mechanism. A bit of pain to impress a lesson of experience on the brain, so as hopefully to prevent recurrence.
So why tell everyone about it?
To feel even more embarrassed and stupid, so hopefully I won’t do it again.
Because, yes; I’ve done it before, years ago.
I think I didn’t feel stupid enough at the time, or I wouldn’t have done it again.
Unless; I really am just that stupid.
Rats…
Downwindtracker2

Re: feeling stupid

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Maybe, maybe not, but tap metal fatigues . They dull and then they need more torque , over time that flexing causes the fatigue . You may not put any load on it but it will snap.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone makes a mistake now and then, even stupid mistakes. I don't think there is a person alive (or dead) who has not made a mistake. Remember; we learn from our mistakes, even if they are repeats.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You want an example of a mistake that will make your forehead sweat? Break a #6-48 bottoming tap in a customer gun while tapping scope mounts. If you are lucky some of it sticks above the surface. If not, it is off to the EDM house and hopefully you will find someone there who understands the issue of not clamping the part in a vise with serrated jaws.
I've broken enough taps to not feel stupid anymore. #4-40 taps have the least solid cross section next to the #10-24 tap. I don't know which metric taps equal this extent of 'fraility'.
As Mr. Ron says, don't be so hard on yourself..
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Would it help if we made fun of you?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

SteveHGraham wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm Would it help if we made fun of you?
Please, would you?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Geeesh! How STUPID!!

There. Does that help?

A Fellow Human,
~RN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Here's my reaction.
exasperated_polar_bear.jpg
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

Well, breaking a tap is like sailing a small dagger board sail boat. There are those that have capsized and there are those that are going to capsize.
It will eventually happen if you do it enough. Sometimes for reasons out of your control. Then sometimes we are just stupid :)
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Well kind of dumb yah. Stupid is breaking the tap and after removing the broken pieces you do the same thing with a new tap.

Pete
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I had the part clamped inverted respect the drawing view, after a long tedious set up to properly orient the cam lobe in the rotary table. Since I am smart I know feature must be located mirror image. Look at the drawing, look at the set up, flip the drawing and look in transparency from the back of the page, do some more thinking dial 39 degrees CW on the rotary table, drill and ream for the magnet, back to zero, dial 120 degree CCW, drill and ream. Done. Take part out, loose angle reference, look at part, look at drawing. You guessed it, mirror image. Is no big deal, I like to have symmetry, so two more magnets hole in the gear will be pretty. That is my story and stick with it, is for symmetry and dynamic balancing. But I lost the reference.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

None of you guys are stupid and that is why we can kid about it.