feeling stupid

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: feeling stupid

Post by neanderman »

Rick wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm Well, breaking a tap is like sailing a small dagger board sail boat. There are those that have capsized and there are those that are going to capsize.
It will eventually happen if you do it enough. Sometimes for reasons out of your control. Then sometimes we are just stupid :)
Perfect!!!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

spro wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:27 pm None of you guys are stupid and that is why we can kid about it.
I appreciate your faith, Spro... Whether I qualify is a whole other thing!!! :lol:
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

Brilliance is often not seen while stupidity shines. It shines because it is out of order.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

NP317 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:06 am Geeesh! How STUPID!!
There. Does that help?
A Fellow Human,
~RN
Come on, you can do better than that!

Rick wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm Well, breaking a tap is like sailing a small dagger board sail boat. There are those that have capsized and there are those that are going to capsize.
I knew a guy we used to call "Captain capsize" because he flipped his hobycat every time he took it out.
I towed him away from the rocks in heavy surf with a sailboard once. That was hard. I had no buoyancy.

Anyway, my point is that I'm not a tap breaking virgin. Not as bad as Captain capsize, but repeating the same mistake again is... you know.

Today I went to my metal shop and made something clever; that could be the antidote to feeling stupid. I think it will take 2 or 3 clever things to get my ego back to it's overheated baseline level.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Three ,eh ? At that rate it's going to be 2019 for me after that welding I just did.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't broken this tap yet.
1-1/2-8 tap
1-1/2-8 tap
Maybe next time it gets used. :roll:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have an extra big tap handle just for jobs like that.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the biggest challenge regarding using a tap is knowing when to throw it away (when it is dull). Everyone wants to get 'the last hole'.

the second biggest is to never use one unless you have it held by a center so that you cannot snap it off.

beyond that...piece of cake (giggle....)

I remember when Jim did the 2-56 holes in the cast iron of his cylinders. he had 48 holes and 48 taps (all carbon steel in those days)….one hole, one tap...

he got through it OK and had a drawer full of 'once used' 2-56 taps which I inherited from him 50 years later...and am still using....and throwing away as soon as they begin to feel 'sticky'.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

earlgo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:41 am Well, if it makes you feel any better, I haven't broken this tap yet.spindle thread tap .jpg
Maybe next time it gets used. :roll:
--earlgo

Next time you thread something with it, use a 3/4" drive impact wrench.
That'll get her done!
:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

By "get her done" do you mean put threads in the hole or break the tap? :lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I would not mess with a guy that can break a 1.5" Tap by hand.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Well I was thinking about this thread the other day when I was taping a #8-32 set screw into a small threaded rod holder- nut- fitting - thingy that holds the pullrod in the tailgate of my pickup. (The plastic thing disintegrated).now my part is only 7/8” long and 1/2” diameter at its widest. Drilled and threaded on the thick end to hold the pull rod that opens the latch on the tailgate. Took two days to make.

So Iam threading the set screw into a blind hole to hold the rod to the latch handle in the tailgate, Thinking how do you break taps anyway? I hardly ever break taps. Well, a moment latter “tick” and my $15, All -American, shiny new tap was rendered in two jagged, ugly pieces. Leaving the best part of the broken off tap fully embedded in my part - where it resides to this very day. Nothing to it, as my old machinist buddy would say.

At least I knew how to gin up a duplicate part, without to much trouble. Without the set screw.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....