feeling stupid

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: feeling stupid

Post by liveaboard »

One time, I tapped 1,500 8mm holes through 6mm steel for a deck on a ship. I used a hand held power drill; in the end, the expensive Metabo drill was dead but the tap was still ok.
To save time and avoid the tap running full length through, I was reversing the drill to back it out before it stopped. Cooked the armature.

The tap that started this thread was in fact quite sharp; I bought it at a flea market in Holland 20 years ago and this was the first time I used it [uncommon thread].
Instead of clamping down the work and using both stupid hands for symmetrical pressure on both ends of the tap handle, I thought I could get away with one-handing it. It was 12mm, not so delicate, but delicate enough. it snapped like a toothpick.
It will take 10 days to get another tap out here to rural Portugal.
Luckily, no hurry.
Lazy AND stupid...
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 pm At least I knew how to gin up a duplicate part, without to much trouble. Without the set screw.
Glenn
I think the solution to that would have been to drill and tap another hole 90° to the first and pretend you had 2 set screws. 8)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

earlgo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 am I think the solution to that would have been to drill and tap another hole 90° to the first and pretend you had 2 set screws. 8)
--earlgo
Excellent plan.

I decided not to wait for the new tap;
filter adaptor OM 636.jpg
Since I'm still a newby machinist, successfully single pointing an inside thread is enough to help me feel a bit clever.

Just a little, not much.
pete

Post by pete »

Successfully single pointing a hole of that size in a part shape like that automatically removes the stupid part. Your now well up to possibly and only sometimes a bit mistake prone with taps :-) Very well done.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

You don't know the history of the tap, unless it was new, the last guy might have abused it. Early on, I was chasing some threads with 1/8" pipe tap in cast iron. The tap just shattered. I'm not usually heavy handed. I thought I would really catch H from boss, but surprisingly he said "That happens". He had grown up in a machine shop and had fled after the '56 Hungarian revolution. He was excitable, his best one was " Why the H*** did you do like I said instead of doing it the way you wanted to ? "
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Thanks for that.
It's an oil filter adapter plate for an old Mercedes engine I'm rebuilding; it was made with a reusable metal filter in a canister.
It's just horrible, and not a very good filter. Now it will have a spin-on modern one.
The hole is 14x1.5mm for a banjo bolt for the mail oil line.
I found banjo bolts and a piece of suitable steel tube, but I haven't yet sourced banjo fittings for brazing posted at a decent price; It seems a bit stupid, but I might just make them from rod.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

drill in block.jpg

Saturday afternoon and this happens to my only 13mm drill bit...
an hour drive each way to get another on Monday.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Plan B: Do you have a boring head? Could finish the job before Monday.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

No, I do not.
My drill press has an MT2 fitting and asymmetrical cutters tend to pop out.
But thanks for the suggestion.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Is the shank of the drill 13mm also? if it is, you might be able to grind it into a 'flat drill', reharden it and make do. OR start from scratch with a piece of drill rod and make your own flat drill. You'd of course have to adjust speeds and feeds for the different geometry. Just pretend you are a village blacksmith (working on a Mercedes-Benz :!: )
Flat Drill
Flat Drill
Info from "Machine Tool Operation Part II Drilling, Planing, Milling Grinding" by Henry D, Burghardt, McGraw Hill Book Co. Copyright 1922, 1937
Good luck.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I don't think so!
I have a hard enough time getting a straight hole using a factory made drill bit.
These are in cast iron to tap for fine thread inserts, a bit finicky.
And I don't have a spare engine block if things go wrong.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
earlgo wrote:Info from "Machine Tool Operation Part II Drilling, Planing, Milling Grinding" by Henry D, Burghardt, McGraw Hill Book Co. Copyright 1922, 1937

In my copy (fifth edition), the section on drilling and
"flat drills" is in Part I; on page 182.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb