feeling stupid

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: feeling stupid

Post by earlgo »

liveaboard: Whilst you are waiting for a 13mm replacement drill, you could make one as per the suggestion and try it out on some extra material. You might be surprised at how it works. Flat drills were common until, one of the gun factory MEs thought up the chip ejecting twisty flute drill. If you are increasing the size of an existing hole, then you could leave the 'teat' on the blank and use it for a pilot.

From Wacky-pedia: "The twist drill bit was invented by Steven A. Morse of East Bridgewater, Massachusetts in 1861. The original method of manufacture was to cut two grooves in opposite sides of a round bar, then to twist the bar (giving the tool its name) to produce the helical flutes."
Incidentally, this is the same method used to produce drills with coolant thru, in today's world.
--earlgo
wlw-19958: I thought I had the only copy of that book left in existence. I found mine at a library book sale, but they only had part II.
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
earlgo wrote: I thought I had the only copy of that book left in existence. I found mine at a library book sale, but they only had part II.
My two volume set is set-up as follows:

Part I contains -
Safety, Measuring Tools, Bench Work,
The Drill Press, The Lathe, Forge Work.

Part II contains -
The Shaper, The Planer, The Milling Machine,
The Grinding Machine, Hydraulics, Metal Band Saws,
Metallurgy, Cutting Fluid.

Yours must be an earlier edition.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Yes, mine is the 2nd edition.
If I had Part I it would include: The Lathe, Bench Work and Work at the Forge
Part II includes: Drilling Machine, Shaper and Planer, Milling and Grinding Machines, Hydraulic Power Transmission, Spur Gears, and Bevel Gears.
Wish I could find Part I, but truthfully I have never looked for it.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Dropped my 4jaw chuck off the spindle today; But don't worry, the bed wasn't damaged.
My little finger cushioned the impact.
[groan]
Now I'm drinking tea like an aristocrat, little finger protruding.
Except it's not as little as it should be...
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Is a good idea to have a wood cradle to fit under the chuck and a pipe clamped i the chuck to act as grabber holder.
I was never strong but old age has reduced my grip to just sufficient for a glass of wine.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

Man/men it is rushing by too quickly. Liveaboard; I know your heavy lathe by pictures and that 4jaw weighs a lot. I know you already made wooden bed plate but somehow (and we know how) your pinky felt some impact. I know is throbbing and swelling. Dang. :(
Tornitore45 , it can't be that bad although a glass or more does relieve the pain. Aftermath is another thing.
We are all in it together and injuries do happen. My fractured wrist healed better than expected. I didn't get an infection and the fore arm has a larger mass of bone than original. Sorry, just talking about this stuff. My left hand is dicey as there is ligament or small bone which has shrunk back.
Back has compressed disc or two so I have a cane ready.
spro

Post by spro »

The important thing is that minor things of this happened in the shop. It was car wrecks or falling off ladders. I'm not talking about shop stuff but it ties together, in a way. It diminishes the ability for us...within our scope. Within recent wars and they were Wars, disabled Soldiers and Marines. In their prime and say it didn't matter. It mattered. It all mattered and their injuries did not prevent them from going forward with that same spirit.
Splintered wrist is one thing but an &^%!! indiscriminate damned bomb taking out our best in their prime is another. I have no right to complain about any injuries I beset upon myself. It is part of life if you can live long enough to get there.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I used to put a block of wood under, but the chuck + backplate only weigh around 50-60lbs and somewhere along the line I just got into the [bad] habit of spinning it off and catching it.
Guess I'd better find that block of wood again.
On the positive side, I successfully did a tricky job to make myself feel a little more clever than my sore finger makes me feel stupid.
Fractured wrist; you're allowed to moan. There's always someone worse off than ourselves.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I had no issue with managing the chucks on my "little" Rockwell 11" lathe (L00). But when I upgraded to the 17", and getting older, I knew it was only a matter of time to broken fingers, back thrown out, or worst of all, damage to the lathe bed. At the time I was doing some framing work and had some 2x4 scrap in various lengths. Some short pieces were cut to 45*, and I stacked pieces to bed width to take up most of the space under the chuck after rabiting a notch on the near side to locate over the v-way. Once the base was glued-n-screwed, I put the wedges into place and located them just not quite snug under the chuck, then screwed them down (with glue).

Once that set, it's an easy manner to place it on the bed and offload the chuck to it's cradle. I have a bed much longer than I normally need, so if I need to use the tailstock, I use a "sky hook" to transfer the chucks with cradle to the back of the bed behind the tailstock. This works well for my big HD 12" Buck 4 jaw and the 15" Rohm 4 jaw, as well as my no-name 10" Chinese 3 jaw (rough chuck for rust and cast iron). I have a cradle for my 8" Bison 3 jaw, but it's mainly just used to protect from dropping on the bed as I can still handle it readily enough without aid. Still, those cradles keep all my chucks safely locked into place at spindle height for storage, mounting, or unmounting...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
NP317

Post by NP317 »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 pm Dropped my 4jaw chuck off the spindle today; But don't worry, the bed wasn't damaged.
[groan]
Now I'm drinking tea like an aristocrat, little finger protruding.
(snip)
Good thing it wasn't your middle finger!...
~RN
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 pm Dropped my 4-jaw chuck; don't worry, the bed wasn't damaged.
[groan]
Now I'm drinking tea like an aristocrat, little finger protruding....
This is why we have little, pinky, fingers. :mrgreen:
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

tornitore45 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:41 pm ...old age has reduced my grip to just sufficient for a glass of wine.
The glasses are too delicate. I go for a rocks glass with Kentucky's finest.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"