feeling stupid

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: feeling stupid

Post by tornitore45 »

back thrown out, or worst of all, damage to the lathe bed
Spoken like a true machinist. :lol:
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I put a piece of a broomstick about a foot and a half long in the chuck and snug down on it. Then I release the D1-5 cams and have the broomstick to grab with my right hand. As I slide it away from the headstock I can grab the rest of the broom stick with my left and take it away. I put a sheet of plywood on the ways just in case I fumble the chuck though.

Pete
spro

Post by spro »

Makes good sense. ..I think some of us must have some really large brooms.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

spro wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:20 pm I think some of us must have some really large brooms.
I was thinking just the opposite; after their handles have been cut off, the brooms are so short everyone must be crawling around on their knees when they try to sweep the floor.
spro

Post by spro »

No and you know what I'm saying. Six inch, eight inch,ugh, 10 inch oh boy. 11 inch, ..) However. I do have an older two post car lift and the arms swing away, backward. Certain channel iron fits right into it. This allows a small trolley with extendable reach, to move things over and above stuff.
spro

Post by spro »

Since I mentioned that; These lifts arms are tied together for safety reasons. I'm never saying to use the arms outboard for lifting heavy lathes or such. It wasn't designed for lifting that way. We have to know that my freakin 8" or 10"...well they were long bolts into solid concrete. That's another thing. Newer two post lifts were tied at the top to present a flat floor. All the cables ran
spro

Post by spro »

-ran over the top. The deal is, the lock. Once the posts are locked at correct height, those arms aren't going anywhere because the frame isn't going anywhere. With extension and little trolley, swung an Atlas mill over and around stuff like it never happened.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Remotely related to tapping.
I was trying to drill and tap a hole in a round rod on a drill press, and as always have a difficult time seeing if the drill is located on the TDC of the rod. I almost never get it right.
I called my friend to commiserate and he said, " Look dumb***, just put a piece of square stock in your v-block and line up on the upper corner."
DUH! and after all these years of dealing with off center holes.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I bought one of these:
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/76416528
Works quite well. I make a lot of pins for heavy equipment, and it’s what I use for finding center to cross drill holes for grease passages and retainer pin/bolts.

Was only 9 bucks back when I bought it from Enco. You may want to shop around.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A slightly less accurate but quick way to center a drill on a cylinder is by trapping a 6" steel pocket scale between the drill point and the top of the cylinder. When the scale is level the drill is centered.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

John, I like your simple solution.
Warmstrong1955: I have one of those but if I don't want overhang on my v-block it doesn't work in all instances.
drill#1.png
After I sent the post this morning, I thought that somehow we must have run across this issue at the CST gun school and then the light went on. Brownells sells these (at least they used to) but being impecunious at the time, made my own. It consists of a small v-block with a center punch located at the apex of the "v". The top side has a built in level. The bent nail is the end stop. (ya, I know, but remember the cheap part)
Drill#3.jpg
Drill#3.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
Here is how it works. The gun trade uses this to mark front sight and scope mount screw locations.
Drill#2.jpg
Too bad I am getting to old to remember things.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Earlgo,

I use mine in for work in my vise, which is where I cross drill about all of the pins I make. I dial in the vise, toss the first pin in it, and let it overhang, and use a end stop, and find center. Need the overhang to drill through anyway.
For some short pins, I let it hang over to zero to center, and then make a setup to cross-drill. I do this for grease passages.

For me.....it's quick, and accurate enough.
But I know what you mean. Some places....it just doesn't work. Been there.
And for small stuff....I go with the edge finder. It's not too good for that.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.