Good practice question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Good practice question

Post by earlgo »

No-one has mentioned follower rests, yet. I don't have one so I can't say yay or nay.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

tornitore45 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 am Sure, $1200 to adorn the tail stock of a $1200 lathe that has been "turning" out good parts with its original center.
I used the pictures to show what type of center I was talking about. You can get all 3 different styles for about $150. on ebay with a #4 taper.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

$1,200!!!???
I buy cheapo Chinese centers and things; because in my case, the alternative is not an expensive good one, but none at all.
I pay around $10 for a #2 fixed center, I haven't priced a half one.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

earlgo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 amNo-one has mentioned follower rests, yet. I don't have one so I can't say yay or nay.
I'm in the opposite situation: I have a follower, but no steady. So maybe in a situation like the one that prompted my question, a follower could be sufficient?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:46 am
earlgo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 amNo-one has mentioned follower rests, yet. I don't have one so I can't say yay or nay.
I'm in the opposite situation: I have a follower, but no steady. So maybe in a situation like the one that prompted my question, a follower could be sufficient?
Not really an alternate solution, as a follower does not allow for end work on a shaft.

I started working in the commercial shop way back in '57. I worked for others for 10 years, then I started my own commercial shop, which I operated for 16 years. In all that time, I never once had need for a follower rest. However, that's due, primarily, to the fact that I specialized in small work. I am not diminishing the value of a follower.

The follow rest for my Graziano has never been mounted on the machine. I have a shop worn, but unused, follow rest. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 am
Not really an alternate solution, as a follower does not allow for end work on a shaft.
Thanks, Harold. Good to know.

I've been looking for a steady rest, but it's hard to know which ones might work.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

neanderman wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:51 pm
Thanks, Harold. Good to know.

I've been looking for a steady rest, but it's hard to know which ones might work.
Ditto; my lathe is pretty much an orphan unit from another dimension.
I'll have to make one I guess.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I have bought a roller steady rest off Ebay an made an adapter so it would fit my lathe. Its not hard to do, but takes some thought to do.

Richard W.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

earlgo--

Hey! Thanks for the picture! NOW I know what they are! I've had some in the junk pile for years. My Detroit-based brother-in-law used to go to (machinists) estate sales and send me stuff. I've got a few of them. I can't remember their condition, but the next time I see them I'll pick them up and caress them.

--Bill
You are what you write.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

seal killer wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:07 pm I've got a few of them.
If you have a spare, MT4, that you want to get rid of, ping me. :mrgreen:
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618