Cleaning Solvent.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Cleaning Solvent.

Post by armscor 1 »

Watching Adam Booth on YouTube and he cleans mating parts with solvent in a large pressurised container before applying Loctite, just wondering what he uses.I clean with contact cleaner which works out very expensive.
Any ideas appreciated.
John Hasler

Re: Cleaning Solvent.

Post by John Hasler »

I use either starting fluid or acetone.
Tom1948

Post by Tom1948 »

Loctite makes a primer. Kind of pricey also but speeds up curing time especially in cooler weather.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Tom1948 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:04 pm Loctite makes a primer. Kind of pricey also but speeds up curing time especially in cooler weather.
You should still clean first.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

acetone - not the stuff your wife buys at the drug store - is a good cleaner.

Primer is great, but so is a heat lamp....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Thanks Guys, ordered 1 Gallon 100% pure Acetone for the price of one can of contact cleaner!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I use cyclo carb cleaner, which is expensive, and compressed air, which is cheap.
Just a tiny squirt of cyclo, then blow it off before it can evaporate.
Fast, easy, cheap.
A gallon of acetone? Does your insurer have anything to say about that? Good stuff but be careful with it.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Henkel says that primer does more than just speed curing and that it is required on some materials including stainless steel.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... X66beq3T3g

They also appear to have a number of different activators and primers.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

The only real goal is to make sure there is no oily residue to prevent bonding of the sealer.

I just today put together a number of parts that were cleaned with commercial acetone before application of either Anaerobic, Ultra-Black, or Right-Stuff depending on purpose. But all cleaned to bare metal shine, and then wiped down with acetone. I've also frequently used chlorinated brake cleaner (non-chlorinated seems to leave a residue) or carb cleaner depending on what was handy. Today I had out the acetone because I had a lot of things to assemble.

FYI, do NOT use chlorinated brake cleaner to clean parts before welding! It actually takes some dedicated effort to get the stuff now due to phosgene risk and environmental regulations. But for now, they still make the chlorinated.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

liveaboard wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:04 pm...A gallon of acetone? Does your insurer have anything to say about that? Good stuff but be careful with it.
Maybe different regulations en EU, but here a gallon of undiluted acetone can be had just about anywhere. I doubt it is any more dangerous than a bunch of other chemicals in the shop.

Dave