Model trains

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chucketn

Model trains

Post by chucketn »

I know this is a machining/steam enthusiast forum, I've been a member for many years. But, most here are 'Train enthusiasts' also.
I have a request that maybe someone here can help me with. My Grandfather was a real railroader on the Erie Lackawanna RR, back in the days of steam. His hobby was, of course, model Railroads. He had a layout in his basement, of Lionel trains that would drive any child into a frenzy! He even gave his 3 children (one of which was my Dad) a small layout for his grandchildren to enjoy, and we did!. I don't know what happened to the set we got, or the sets the other two families had. Now, many years later(I'm near 70) some of the family want to recreate the 'toy train under the Christmas Tree' tradition of long ago. Can anyone recommend a source of small model train layouts like we had as kids, that could be set up under a Christmas Tree? They don't have to be Lionel in the scale I had, HO scale is o.k.
Many thanks for any help. You'd make an old bugger really happy...
Mr Ron

Re: Model trains

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm an 84 year old bugger and have been interested in model trains as far back as I can remember. I'm still active in train modeling, but now, due to eyesight, build to a much larger scale. Check a model shop in your area. They will have model train sets, some for less than $100 and some others for much more. If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, that is a good place to try. You can also buy online. Check Amazon.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

HO scale is great for mounted layout but a constant pain on floor or carpet. They are fiddly sensitive to the slightest imperfection of the base.
A 0 scale would be my choice.
My father owned a toy/model store and all 3 brothers were busy from November to Dec 24 building layouts with panoramas, always HO scale on 10' x 7' plywood base. 95% Marklin
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

My uncle made a set that was either N or Z.

It was way too small to put under a tree, but he cut a sheet of plywood in a trapezoid to fit the bay window in the living room and built the layout on that.

When it was time to put it out, it was:
Get the board from the attic
Put it in the bay window
Put the train on it
Plug it in
Enjoy

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

Put it..wait a minute, what is my Fleischmann set doing in the cold closet.
Les_S

Post by Les_S »

A few years back I bought a Bachmann G scale train from Hobby Lobby, as Mr. Ron suggested, to go under the tree. it was a really nice steam train, for not a lot of money, and being big G scale worked very well under the tree until it occasionally came under attack by the family cat. If you can't get from Hobby Lobby you can probably go directly to Bachmann's web site.
Hope you find something that works well for you!
Les
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions.