Great way to take up time...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

curtis cutter

Great way to take up time...

Post by curtis cutter »

I found this very effective way to waste time. I took my microscope out to the shop and really looked at the cuttings edges on my tooling.

Need I say more. :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
tornitore45

Re: Great way to take up time...

Post by tornitore45 »

Yes
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Ha! It was very enlightening to examine some of the edges on tools I was using. I had some that were cheap foreign made carbide that appeared sharp but under the microscope were really quite rough and I am surprised they would even remove material.

I also looked at some that I had dressed with a CBN wheel and then finished with a diamond hand hone. Even with the finest stone I could still see marks under the microscope.

I am considering finishing with the hand stone in the direction that the chips would flow as opposed to honing 90 degrees to the direction of the chip flow. It is probably an insignificant thing but I found it interesting never the less.
Gregg
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

Hey, wait until you start looking at small drill bits. I've seen some where the grind was backwards. Yes, the grinding and stoning should be perpendicular to the edge for the strongest edge. I also suggest people not use carbide paper and such to finish edges because they round the edge right where you need it free cutting. A good stone and remember that a single swipe at the wrong angle can take forever to correct.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:02 pm I also suggest people not use carbide paper and such to finish edges because they round the edge right where you need it free cutting.
I agree! 8)

There are those who still promote the use of a belt sander for sharpening cutting tools. That's a process I highly recommend AGAINST, for the precise reason you mentioned.

Doesn't matter how clever the operator may think he/she may be--it's the nature of the beast----anything less than a fully rigid surface has the potential to round cutting edges.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

curtis cutter wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:36 pmI took my microscope out to the shop and really looked at the cuttings edges on my tooling.
That was your first mistake...
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

neanderman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:59 am
curtis cutter wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:36 pmI took my microscope out to the shop and really looked at the cuttings edges on my tooling.
That was your first mistake...
:lol:
Gregg
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Next comes a cutter sharpening machine! :) :)
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

That may be the worst result of getting a surface grinder. It makes you realize how badly you need a proper tool and cutter grinder to go with it.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ummm. CRH would you please explain why one couldn't use a surface grinder to sharpen tools with the proper fixturing. The toolmaker at a company I worked with used the Boyer Shultz for either operation, and observing him proved to me what could be done. One can do remarkable things with a 3 axis vise or sine plate and a bit of innovation.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

While it's true that a surface grinder can be used for sharpening cutters, they typically lack the locks and other features (like the ability to rotate the wheel head) that make a cutter grinder better suited to the task.

A cutter grinder that isn't well tooled is nothing more than an expensive pedestal grinder. It's the accessories that make them what they are.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.