Great service

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Great service

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:18 am I always liked Enco's service,
Enco, at one time, had an outlet in the Seattle area. I ordered a (large) number of belts for my 6" x 48" belt sander. They doubled the order when they shipped, then I was requested to return the half that was not ordered. I drove out of my way to get them back to UPS, and paid the fee for return shipping. I was told they would reimburse the shipping fee. When I submitted the fee, I received a scathing response from them, that I was "gouging them". As I didn't have an account with UPS, and they did, I paid less than $1 more than they would have, and they didn't like being charged the extra amount.

I was so damned hot after receiving their response, especially after their error had put me out of my way, and now they wanted to quibble over a few cents, that I responded with sharp comments, thanking them for punishing me for trying to rectify their mistakes. I got no response from them, but a few days later they returned the numerous belts I had sent back to them, with no explanation, and no apology. I can't address why the change in attitude, as I never again did business with them until they were acquired by MSC.

Clearly, at least at the Seattle branch, they had issues with customer service at that time. I have often wondered why they didn't prepare a prepaid return label instead of demanding me to deal with their problem.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

Gosh, Harold, I've never heard of such things with Enco. I dealt with them for a couple of decades and always received excellent service. Same now with MSC. Their people are very knowledgeable and friendly and their prices are actually pretty good if you happen to be an Enco transplant.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:22 am jcfx » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 am
Amen to that !
I order so often from them that I get the McMaster big yellow book.
WoW, you must be a big customer. The last big yellow book I got was book 102 and that was through my employer.
I'm not that big a customer of McMaster, but I order enough from them during the TV production season that
it gets me the their printed catalog, and I'm close enough to their warehouse that I can get it
same day shipped and received. As others have said their service is second none. And they have almost everything.
If they had mold making materials and resins I'd probably get their gold stamped hardcover edition !
I have # 122 laying around the shop, and another still in the box ( # 123 ? ), reminds me of collecting comic books
wonder what # 1 of the McMaster catalog is worth ?. :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ChipMaker4130 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:01 pm Gosh, Harold, I've never heard of such things with Enco. I dealt with them for a couple of decades and always received excellent service. Same now with MSC. Their people are very knowledgeable and friendly and their prices are actually pretty good if you happen to be an Enco transplant.
None of it made sense to me. I suspect I was dealing with an individual who got up on the wrong side of bed that day, something that was likely obvious to the individual who returned the belts to me free of charge. I figure it was an anomaly. I did business with Enco after they were acquired and had great service, and really enjoyed their pricing. Case in point. I purchased a new 688 Kurt vise, delivered, for $328, right about the time the economy hit the skids. Deals like that are not to be found today.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

My experiences with Enco, which started about the time I joined here, were always exceptional -- great pricing, quick shipping and their 'free shipping on $25 or more' offers saw me buy things that I might otherwise not have.

MSC has been pretty good since they 'folded' Enco, but for some reason, I almost never get their monthly fliers anymore -- and those are what spur orders from me.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
RSG

Post by RSG »

Mr. Ron, glad to hear you are happy with MMC. I am also happy to say I get my orders next day too and I'm way up in Canada :roll: LOL If I had to find fault I'd only say two things.

1. They won't sell to me directly, I have to piggyback on a large company that only allows me too because I am friends with the owner.

2. If I need a certain screw like the other day, (1/4-20 with a flange) they are sold by the singles and are $4.54 each!!!!! (in US funds :? ) Kind of spendy for what they are....

I don't profess to understand how their pricing formula works, some things can be pricy but others are more than reasonable. Another thing I really appreciate is their fancy part drawings. I use them all the time! Overall they get two thumbs up!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I don't profess to understand how their pricing formula works,
Me neither but it appears that the items with "pharmaceutical" pricing are those that are hard to find with minimal demand.
The cost must include a large inventory cost.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX