MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Post by Harold_V »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:06 pm Days are past when we would eat one each, now one steak does both of us and sometimes even makes a second meal.
I thought it was just us doing that. I no longer eat like I did as a younger person. If I do, I pay a price. Amazing how the body changes with age.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I can give you a suggestion. When you buy a rib roast for steaks, put it in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks, wrapped in a clean towel and resting on a wire rack to let air through. Change the towel every day. When you're ready to slice the roast up, cut off any bits that look funny. The aging improves the meat.

If you choose to have boneless rib eyes, when you slice the ribs off, you can use them for soup.

I don't know why anyone ever eats steaks other than rib eyes. I'll eat a filet if I'm not very hungry, but the rib eye is king.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:34 am
neanderman wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:42 am
SteveHGraham wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:23 am A local grocery was selling rib roasts for $5/pound. There was no way to NOT buy one.
No kidding!

We had a yummy lamb shank, here!
Heh! Much as I like prime rib, this Greek boy loves lamb, and that's exactly what my bride cooked for us. It has become our tradition on Christmas Eve. Leg of lamb, and a shank, which is the best meat on the critter.
Asparagus. Some people have too much money. I love the stuff, but only in season. Social Security goes only so far. :wink:

H
I generally only buy asparagus when it's on sale. Christmas makes an exception. (Plus, both she and I are still gainfully employed -- but I will resemble that in just a few years!)

I've been trying to get some growing for a few years, so I can feast on it in the spring and early summer, but the cold winters here are not kind! I suspect I've not been planting the crowns deep enough, so this past spring I started some from seed. I won't see yield for probably 3 years, but life is sometimes a waiting game.

It's funny, I'm part Irish, and they love their lamb, too. But my mother didn't like it, so I didn't have it until my 20's, when a friend had it at a party! Anne loves it and cooks it all the time, so I'm making up for lost time.

Happy New Year!!!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

A perfect example of value added. Take a $5/lb hunk of meat, slice it into slabs, relabel, and sell for $15/lb.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I used to do it all the time, except for the selling part. Back when Costco sold choice boneless rib roasts for $5 per pound, I aged them, sliced the roasts into steaks, and froze them in foil. It wasn't prime beef, but it was very good.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.