What tools should I have?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: What tools should I have?

Post by Mr Ron »

Thank you all. I learn something new here all the time.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Re: What tools should I have?

Post by pete »

Thanks for the clarification that open area in the incomplete Ebay gauge block set is for a stone. That makes sense.

Not an idea invented by him since there available commercially at a fairly high price for what they are. But ROBRENZE on YouTube started surface grinding good stones with a diamond wheel specifically for use around high accuracy parts. I'd certainly agree about the use of ANY abrasive on very accurate items. Illogical as it seems apparently these extremely flat stones will only remove raised areas and are supposed to be very gentle about not removing metal from areas there not supposed to. Given the costs Starrett, Mitutoyo etc seem to want for these gauge block truing stones I'm thinking that they might be surface ground as well? Rob is an extremely clever and highly experienced machinist. One of the best I know of and I'd have to trust his judgement about something as critical as this. He's certainly not the type to use anything unless it's well proven to work. However I'm still biased about thinking it's just not a good idea, but I've been wrong about lots of things before. A few other talented people on YT have surface ground there own stones and reported favorable results.