What is it?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

What is it?

Post by armscor 1 »

Given to me 30 years ago by a retired Toolmaker, only markings are Doloro Stollito 1/2 Dia.
Attachments
DSCN0080.JPG
mcostello

Re: What is it?

Post by mcostello »

Is the second word Stellite? Might be a hard material drill bit. Google Deloro for more info.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

The second word is definitely Stollito?????
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Looks like a desktop calculator, to me.

Ducking and running!!! :lol: 8) :mrgreen: :P
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

It's a nice, in-focus shot of a calculator and the grain of a wood desk top with something out of focus standing by the calculator.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Like the others, I see an H-P calculator (one of their annoying-to-use RPN models) and some sort of blurry metal object that could be an instrument used by a proctologist. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
spro

Post by spro »

I agree with mcostello. Stellite is pretty hard stuff and see those black spots? Those could be holes for air or some other pressured coolant.
pete

Post by pete »

An old school drill for very hard materials. There Triangular shaped so it better resists the very high feed pressures. I read an old post about them on PM a long time ago. And it's almost certainly Stellite tipped.
spro

Post by spro »

Yep. I hadn't seen one quite like it but it did appear to have a tapered shank for high pressure.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

armscor 1 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:46 pm Given to me 30 years ago by a retired Toolmaker, only markings are Doloro Stollito 1/2 Dia.
It is a stellite drill, and the notches in the straight edges are to improve chip evacuation.

This drill is useful for drilling quite accurate holes in HARDENED steel; no need to anneal anything if you forgot a bolt hole prior to hardening.

Try it on and old file. Just grind off most teeth in one location, chuck the drill and run it at about 1000 rpm, and bear down on that file. Clamp down the file and do not use any coolant!

Make sure that there a no combustibles in the vicinity as the chips will come off red/blue hot.

The method of operation is that the drill heats the steel red-hot, thus annealing it locally, and then scoops or pushes the softened steel out of the hole.

Quite an operation to watch. Try it and let us know your observations. w
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Tried it on a Aussie Nicholson file, ground off serrations and ran drill at approx 1000 rpm, hardly marked the file.
Tried a 1/4"carbide drill and same result.
spro

Post by spro »

Well dang.