What is it?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: What is it?

Post by Mr Ron »

JackF wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:01 pm A friend of mine used to work for Alaska Copper in Seattle and they used their Duall? band saw to friction cut stainless steel. They used the back side of the saw blade at top speed. I was told it cut through like butter.
I don't think I would try that using a garden variety bandsaw with rubber tires. The hot blade would destroy the tires. I don't think a doall has rubber tires.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
spro

Post by spro »

This answers some questions. I bought a Boice Crane bandsaw decades ago and it had rims of some sort of material resembling brake lining. The machine had a two stage gearbox which I appreciated for lower speeds. The gearbox allowed much higher speeds than I would consider using for anything..
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:53 pm I don't think a doall has rubber tires.
Yeah, they do have. Because they will operate with various blades widths, and because the teeth shouldn't make contact with a hard surface, they have a rubber liner inside the main wheels, which have a rim on each edge. The rubber is about 1/8" thick.

I can't address the purpose built friction saws, though, as I've never seen one.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Our saws had rubber tires. The rubber was vulcanized onto a steel band. We cut the old one off and clamped, hammered and swore at putting the new tires on, I know that because I changed a few of them and it took 2 people to do the job. These tires were 5ft in diameter. They are still using these saws.

Jim B
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

The guide wheels on these machines were steel, 3 on the top guide and 3 on the bottom guide, all 3.5" in diameter. Guide wheel ass'y on the top were hydraulically positioned to the operators choice. The blades had teeth facing the normal way for a bandsaw.

Jim B