Electric motor capacitors

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Electric motor capacitors

Post by Mr Ron »

Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:37 pm I didn't [stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week]. I stayed home. Want to give me a clue what the significance of that comment is? I'm slow picking up pretty much anything that isn't real obvious. Sort of a black and white person, if you haven't already figured that out. :-)

H
I've seen that before but never got around to looking it up until now.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/ ... ss-148485/

The fact that you didn't pick up on it indicates that you don't watch television. A mark of intelligence.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The Adweek link doesn't really help. Here is what Harold needs.

Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Back to capacitors.. There may be four terminal type which have the same physical dimension as a start capacitor but are dual stage. Start and run.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've seen the multiple terminal type, but they're usually just three terminals, with one common to the other two.
Funny thing----I find 6 MFD caps, but they're labeled run caps, not start caps.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Your motor does not have a start winding, so no need for a start Cap, your motor is a permanent Cap run motor, you need a run Cap.
These type of motors have poor starting torque but once up to speed they perform well.
If possible mount the Cap remote from motor housing, the biggest killer for Caps is heat, dries out the electrolyte.
Hope this helps.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks. Because it wouldn't self start, I assumed it was a start cap. I'll acquire one of the run caps.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.