Holes with interrupted cuts / offset holes, how to cut?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bentworker

Re: Holes with interrupted cuts / offset holes, how to cut?

Post by Bentworker »

I like the annular cutter idea, if I come across any for a good price I'll have to get some.
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Those get quite expensive for typical home shop use. But they are wonderful when combined with a mag drill for structural steel work (trailer/truck/car frames, etc). For use on fixed machinery like a mill, unless you do a lot, or have a very specific need, end mills (and/or boring heads) are far more economical and flexible.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rudd

Post by rudd »

OK, I get the torque transfer in straight line accel/decel situations, I'd think the hub would be under a good bit of stress on hard cornering. I don't believe I'd take that job in my shop.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

Yeah, those annular cutters are not cheap, especially the 2” depth of cut ones! I had access to several 1” depth of cut ones, but not anymore since I switched up employers.
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Don't neglect to consider the sharp corner that an annular cutter would leave at the base of the bore if used in the context of this thread.

A boring bar can be ground to leave a suitable radius to help eliminate stress risers.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I would drill the holes undersize and follow with an end mill to guarantee the finished hole did not drift. For the counterbore I probably don't have the correct size endmill so I would check my stock of counterbores. If none of them were the right size I would use a boring head.