socket wrench storage

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

socket wrench storage

Post by SteveM »

What do you folks use for storing socket wrenches?

I have those strips with the clips on them and they suck.

Between inch / metric, regular / impact, short / long, 1/4" / 3/8" / 1/2", there are just too many combinations

Steve
Bentworker

Re: socket wrench storage

Post by Bentworker »

This type.
Easy to identify size, drive etc...

5FB0D96B-D051-4CAB-9292-6E423C35376A.png
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I use the metal strips with clips, you can pick out the sets you want to take to a job, even when I'm close to my tool cab I still use a tool tray to carry the tools to the job to reduce to & fro from the box.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Magicniner wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:03 am I use the metal strips with clips, you can pick out the sets you want to take to a job, even when I'm close to my tool cab I still use a tool tray to carry the tools to the job to reduce to & fro from the box.
Same here. Easy to grab a set or two and head out the door to go work on something.

Rail clips are not created equal. Stick with name brand ones.
I picked up a set at Horror Freight, and ended up tossing 'em. T he clips were too thin, and not enough spring, and the sockets were always falling off.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

I used the spring clips for many years and must emphatically agree that they suck badly.

Now I use these...

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-30-Piece-Ma ... ket+holder

The holes are slightly larger than the socket so the socket drops in and can be removed easily. The base is magnetic so the the socket is held in the hole. A fully loaded holder can be turned upside down and the sockets won't fall out. A side benefit of this is that the holder can be stuck to the vertical side of a rolling tool cabinet if drawer space is scarce.

My URL above shows only the 3/8 socket holder. They're available in 1/4 and 1/2 socket size as well. Just search on "Ares socket holder".

They make a similar magnetic holder that holds 37 1/4" hex bits...

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-Magnetic-Or ... ket+holder

These are equally handy.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

mklotz wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:47 am I used the spring clips for many years and must emphatically agree that they suck badly.

Now I use these...

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-30-Piece-Ma ... ket+holder

The holes are slightly larger than the socket so the socket drops in and can be removed easily. The base is magnetic so the the socket is held in the hole. A fully loaded holder can be turned upside down and the sockets won't fall out. A side benefit of this is that the holder can be stuck to the vertical side of a rolling tool cabinet if drawer space is scarce.

My URL above shows only the 3/8 socket holder. They're available in 1/4 and 1/2 socket size as well. Just search on "Ares socket holder".

They make a similar magnetic holder that holds 37 1/4" hex bits...

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-Magnetic-Or ... ket+holder

These are equally handy.
It's a good idea, but after reading the negative reviews, I would pass on them and instead "copy" the design and make one at home without the negative things said about them. I would make it from wood with less powerful magnets. Shouldn't be too hard to make. The price is pretty high for something that only holds sockets.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

I got the wrong URL for the hex bit holder. The one shown is for the holder and bits. The holder alone is here...

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70080-Organ ... bit+holder
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Cheap rails here too. I've tried others, but the rails work very well for me, enough to offset what I see as minor inconveniences. I just grab the rail or rails I think I'll need, drive type as appropriate, and add to the creeper tray, or go-bag, or whatever. They stay in place and in order so I can select size by feel when need be.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

My big gripe is the way the numbers shrink as I get older. I found that painting them with an orange Sharpie and rubbing off the excess makes them readable even without reading glasses.

I like blow-molded boxes, but they multiply the volume of stored tools by three.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, that and the manufacturers who can't be bothered to mark the sizes clearly, or in a standard orientation. Fractional I'm fine with, I can look at the socket and know the size. But metric, not so much. I may know I need that 15 mm, but will usually grab the wrong one first because the numbers are too faint to see, and half the time are clocked so that they aren't legible straight on.

A friend of mine used a die grinder to make a small flat through the chrome and painted each size a distinctive color, and color cycling was separated enough that there was no confusion. Even if he didn't remember that 15 mm was orange, once he had a 15 mm and found he needed the deepwell, swivel, or wrench, he knew they were orange and easily put his hands on what he needed. Plus, you generally know the related sizes for whatever system you are working on. So like the TD I recently finished putting together, the vast majority of everything was 15, 13, or 10 mm. So once I remind myself which colors are in play, going from tool to tool becomes trivial without having to look for markings when I realize I now also need the 10 mm deep well and a wrench. Always thought about doing it, never got off my backside to get it done...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Harbor Freight has color coded sockets and wrenches. I hear they are not bad for the price. They have a lifetime warranty. It appears the quality is improving.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have a few newer Craftsman sets, with laser printed BIG numbers on 'em. I have those sets hangin' on the pegboard on rails.....as they are easy to see what is what if need be.
Most of the time, I just look at the socket, and can tell the size, as long as I know if it's a metric set or inches.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.