Torque and it's relation to tramming a mill head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Torque and it's relation to tramming a mill head

Post by pete »

Yep I do remember that post, I just couldn't recall if yours had the built in spindle feeds or not. Mines a step pulley mill with a VFD, but looking at that picture again I'd be willing to bet some of yours was built using the same casting source as mine was. The base and column casting shape is exactly the same as mine. Without a direct side by side measurement the rest other than the variable speed and motor looks very much like mine as well. If you haven't already mounted a X axis power feed I found with mine that the tables mounting holes were spaced, drilled and tapped using standard Bridgeport dimensions so an off shore power feed was a direct mount to what's already there.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I don't know what torque value one is supposed to use. I assumed a strong pull on the wrench that came with the machine was about right.

In regard to tramming the nod direction I use a long precision parallel on the table. I set up the indicator so it will be approximately directly under the nod pivot. I zero the indicator on top of the parallel in that position. I rotate the spindle 180* and slide the parallel so it is under the indicator. If adjustment is required all I have to do is adjust the nod to get a zero reading. Repeat at least once to verify nothing shifted.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Jonfreese, I figured about the same regarding tightening with a wrench. I think I might be in cline to pick up a torque wrench now though.

Pete, Yes I have outfitted the mill with a nice four axis DRO from DRO Pros. It's my third unit from them and I've always been very happy with the product.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.