Large pan for evaporust-ing

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Large pan for evaporust-ing

Post by SteveM »

I needed to put my bandsaw table in evaporust, but it's 20" square. Didn't need to be submerged a whole lot (actually only a quarter inch).

A friend lent me one of those pans you put under washing machines. Worked like a charm and I didn't even need to use a whole gallon of evaporust.

Steve
Attachments
20190115_203934.jpg
20190115_205808.jpg
20190115_212917.jpg
20190115_212859.jpg
whateg0

Re: Large pan for evaporust-ing

Post by whateg0 »

I didn't know they made such a thing! I've used a large box with a heavy plastic sheet in it. Just have to be careful when cleaning up as it can be a mess if you don't get all the edges of the plastic.

Dave
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:03 am I didn't know they made such a thing! I've used a large box with a heavy plastic sheet in it. Just have to be careful when cleaning up as it can be a mess if you don't get all the edges of the plastic.
I thought of using a desk drawer I had, lining it with a plastic bag, but then though about how I would ever get the evaporust back in the bottle.

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Evaporust works great, but looking at the small amount of rust on your table, I would just use a sanding sponge and WD-40; then wax with carnuba wax. That is what I do with my cabinet saw.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 pm Evaporust works great, but looking at the small amount of rust on your table, I would just use a sanding sponge and WD-40; then wax with carnuba wax. That is what I do with my cabinet saw.
It was a small area, but pretty heavy rust.

While cleaning out my dad's basement, someone left something on the table that must have been corrosive and leaking. Otherwise the table looked just as good across the entire table as the front side.

Steve
mikechoochoo

Post by mikechoochoo »

Also very old refrigerators had a large plastic drip pan, and there are shallow pans for under dog kennels and cat litter boxes
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Nail up a wooden box. Line it with plastic sheet.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Nice solution (no pun intended... :D )!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

As good as, and much cheaper than Evaporust, 1 Gallon of vinegar and 1 cup of salt, stir this and derust your parts until acceptable. Then to neutralize, 1 Gallon of water to 1 cup of baking soda, stir then soak parts for at least 15 minutes. Then drop in plain water, remove, dry, and then oil or paint. Works really well.
40 year retired machinist.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

A darkroom tray would work ideally for large, but thin, objects. You can get trays up to 20" x 24" pretty readily from some of the New York-based camera stores (like B&H -- not financial ties, just a frequent customer.)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The other day I used a beach towel, soaked in 1/2 gal white vinegar to descale and de rust a fairly larger sheet of sheet metal (18”x24”). Wrapped it all up in a big square of black construction plastic for 24 hours so it wouldn’t dry out. Didn’t need any kind of tray to soak it in. Worked very well.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....