What are these things?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Victor_R

What are these things?

Post by Victor_R »

Gentlemen,
Last month or so I purchased a draw of machinist tooling parts at a local auction including HSS lathe bits, taps, parallels, etcetera and these round items. They're 1¾ OD with a 3/8-16 threaded center hole. All have a ¼ inch keyway on the periphery (except 1), various thicknesses and tapered shoulders on one side or both. Beats me what they're for. :?
Attachments
MVC-008F.JPG
MVC-009F.JPG
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
jtdute

Re: What are these things?

Post by jtdute »

They are cut off / grooving tools. The brand escapes me right know. There is special holder and grinding fixture for sharpening them. I have some in and they work well. but with carbide insert I think they are obsolete.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

How do you use them?
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

A couple of them say Somma Tool Co. Waterbury Conn. They have only the narrowest of side clearance, about 1 or 2 thousandths.
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Long ago I had some Somma tooling and a catalog. I remember those and, they are cut-off tools. They mounted on a shank like the pre-formed 60* threading tools that looked similar...

Make a shank and use a good stout bolt,,

Nice find!

Pete
Just tryin'