Is Jet good quality

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Is Jet good quality

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't think PM has a conduct code, but if they do, it's purely for humorous effect.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Personally I dont think it is necessary to strip a new machine down and polish every part before using it. If it is manufactured so poorly this is necessary, don’t buy it. Go to a better brand. Main thing, if you have a local Jet dealer near by, is go look at one on the floor, and work all the controls. You can tell what the machine is like usually, by running the carriage, inspecting the castings, etc. ideally, buy the one you look at. Ask them what recourse you have if you discover some defect - e.g. rough casting, out of tolerance, etc.

BTW, the machine reconditioning and antique forums on PM are pretty accommodating. Seems like Lots of hobbyists on those pages and not much hooliganism.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

:lol: As has been said here Jet is good quality, but harder to get parts for. Grizzly is much easier.
The only problem is that, with machines made in China, you sometimes have to wait until they make a run of the part you need or it arrives from China, which can take time. Precision-Matthews has lathes made in Taiwan, and the quality is very good. You will have to wait a bit for them to arrive, but the crew there is very good to work with.

As for forums, I don't know what to tell you. I founded one, but don't run it anymore so I can finally play with my toys.
(Hobby-Machinist.com). I like this forum (Chaski), and owwm.com- also a good place. I wouldn't go near the others if my life depended on it, and it doesn't. :lol:

All the best,

Nelson
Nels
Founder, Hobby-Machinist.com
SB 10L Lathe in pieces, Burke #4, Van Norman #12