Rotary Broach holder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Rotary Broach holder

Post by SteveHGraham »

whateg0 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:06 pm
SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:45 pm Your cutter should have relief on the sides. I don't know if there is such a thing as a prefab cutter. I make them on the mill.
Ok. I knew that from having watched videos of them in use. I wasn't sure how you were doing it without cutting any angles on them, as in your earlier post. What angle are you talking about, then, that isn't needed?
The cutter's axis of rotation doesn't have to be at an angle to the cutter holder. With a mill, it's different.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

O1 is what I have used. Hardened and tempered.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks Tornitore!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Rotary broaches usually have the center of rotation 1* offset from the spindle centerline. Tools typically have a 2* per side clearance.

No need to buy the cutters. You can make them from drill rod. Having a tool & cutter grinder makes the job a lot easier.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I used 1/2" oil-hardening drill rod for my cutters. Something from Enco. I don't recall the exact type.

If you're not afraid to tilt your mill's head, making cutters for hex holes is very easy. Tilt the head several degrees to put relief on the cutter. Put the drill rod in a rotary table, standing up. Cut one side, rotate 60 degrees, cut another side...nothing to it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RSG

Post by RSG »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 pm I used 1/2" oil-hardening drill rod for my cutters.

If you're not afraid to tilt your mill's head, making cutters for hex holes is very easy.
Thanks Steve, I'm not afraid of tilting the head at all, but I also have a tilting rotary table :wink: ,
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

I'm a little late to the meeting here. Little Machine Shop used to carry a few rotary broach cutters. I haven't lately. I bought several from them years ago. At the time, they were around $30 a piece. I made a rotary broach fixture to use in the lathe, as mentioned above. For some reason I couldn't get mine to cut into the material I was using, which was 4140HT. Never did go back and try a softer material at the time. KenS.
Ken