Syil Machines

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Syil Machines

Post by ctwo »

Hi All,

A friend is considering a VMC for a small business. Any info on Syil? Are these on par with Tormach or closer to Haas? I looked briefly at their VMC price is ~$50k.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Re: Syil Machines

Post by John Evans »

The place to ask that is over on PM. Never saw that brand mentioned over there though. I will say most over there don't think much of Tormach, seems the Haas mini-mill is preferable.
www.chaski.com
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I saw a thread at PM and the first response was about locking the thread due to the impending pandemonium... It actually did not turn out too bad, but was a little old.

I suspect they want to be better than Tormach, but are probably the same, without the large user base and unknown support.

I was also corrected - the machine of interest is more like the benchtop X5 or X7 mill.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Ah !! A toy.
www.chaski.com
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

John Evans wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:47 am Ah !! A toy.
Considerably less so than a Tormach though :D
The X7 weighs in at around 1400kg owing to it's heavier cast construction, not a cheaply converted manual mill on a welded stand, Syil machines are also available with Siemens 808d Advanced controllers and full Siemens servo systems.
I've been researching the market and joining user groups and Syil users spend their time making parts where Skyfire and Tormach owners spend their time chasing problems.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The Syil VMC is listed at $50. He just showed me a quote for a Haas SMINIMILL2 VMC for $56k.

Any suggested option?
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Has he looked at Hurco ( Indianapolis,IN)
With their conversational programing, he does not need a CAD/ CAM Program ($$$) or a post processor
Rich
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:12 pm Has he looked at Hurco ( Indianapolis,IN)
With their conversational programing, he does not need a CAD/ CAM Program ($$$) or a post processor
Rich
Interesting, what does he envisage making?
I ask because the ability to make complex 3D parts with multiple merged compound curves and angled flat surfaces is what first nudged me towards a 4-Axis CNC and I suspect conversational programming would not be a practical solution.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My experience with conversational programming CNC machines certainly was pleasant.
And those machines could also use CAD-develpoed tool path instructions, downloaded into the CNC machine.
So: both worlds.
~RN
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

This is my Syil X7 cutting a 3mm deep pocket in 316, 10mm 4 flute carbide roughing endmill, 1170rpm, 126 mm/min with 33% step over and very reasonable noise levels.
The pocket is to accommodate a 125mm tall offcut from an 80mm square tombstone column which was shortened for some of my specific job requirements on the Syil X7, programmed at 80.02mm the pocket came out spot on size, the tombstone seated perfectly into the pocket with a few firm bumps from a soft faced hammer.

https://youtu.be/SvzSgXN-YW4
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

A standard robodrill from Fanuc starts at 60k new, and they have an eco model that’s even cheaper. That mill runs circles around even more expensive counterparts, especially Haas.

If conversational is the goal, Fryer or a Southwestern Trak machine are the way to go, so the toolmaker says.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My good experience has been with the Southwestern Industries TRAK machines: both mills and lathes.
I used them in an educational shop and they met the needs really well.
They can be used both in "manual mode" and conversational CNC mode.
~RN