Exhaust flange and gasket problems.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Exhaust flange and gasket problems.

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Only Banks stuff I have been around, were turbo kits for Dodge and Ford pickups. I helped some friends install 'em, and don't remember any problems with any.
Find a gasket....or make a gasket....and you'll be in business. Maybe a little flange straightening too. Not right having to modify brand new parts to make parts fit.
Never know.....things change. Hope they didn't get bought by Horror Freight! ;)

Glad I could help.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

liveaboard wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:00 pm I have exactly the same problem with an old boat I have; I bought a flange fitting muffler for it 20 years ago and made all the pipes fit, now I can't get that kind anymore.
So I cut off the flanges and welded the new muffler to them, but now I need to find square flange 4 hole exhaust gaskets and am not having success.
I'll try to source that material in the EU; I'm not so optimistic I admit.
The stuff is a pretty common item at most auto parts stores here in the states. Especially the ones who cater to the racing and the restoration crowd.
Lot of people here who restore old cars & pickups, and have four auto parts stores in town. We have a stock car track too. Lot of the old stuff.,....you just don't get replacement parts for, so various types of gasket material is a stock item for parts stores.

Good luck with your search.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Gasket paper I can get; I never asked for high temp stuff.
I guess I'd better ask and find out.
I found it on ebay.UK but comes far more than required and it's not so cheap.

Facilities are thin here; no culture for DIY repairs, car mods are 99% forbidden, people take their cars to garages for repair. Rates are reasonable.
There are few old cars; because 40 years ago, this area was still so poor, they hardly had them.
Even carpentry and such at home seems to be rare. But most people can do some masonry, and everyone knows about growing potatoes.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

We have shops scattered across the US, with CNC water-jet tables, who make gaskets. Any flavor you like too. Just send them a drawing, and what you require for material, and they can fix you up.
I've dealt with many, but I was also dealing with larger quantities. Be pretty expensive to get a one or two off gasket built.

Maybe some of your problem there is why I was getting a lot of gaskets built here. They were available from the OEM's in the EU. They were regular consumables for us, and simple, but the OEM's thought they were made from a secret alloy of platinum, palladium, rhodium, and unobtanium.

Bill
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I don't know if it would work, and I have no reason to try it, but I'm curious...

Could the gaskets with the stainless core be cut on a plasma cutter?

Dave
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Only gaskets I know they used to cut with plasma, were all metal. Places I've dealt with, use water-jet, and sometimes laser, for metal gaskets now too. More accurate, and no distortion.
I would think that the heat from plasma cutting would damage any kind of non-metallic composite 'paper' laminated to the metal.

Bill
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

The gaskets I need might exist right on part store shelves; if I only knew what late model street car used that size and pattern.
"Just give us the registration number" they say.
It's a 50 year old motor built into a 100 year old boat.
"Oh, we don't have boat parts."

Just make them, if necessary build a jig, make the tools, if it takes 2 days it was less aggravating than the search I've done already.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Last line spoken like a true machinist.